Pork?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

master2

Pork?

Post by master2 »

Hi

I am confused about pork ( I talking about pork chops ect, not sausages or bacon) I always was told pork was bad for dogs yet when I was ordering Watson and Sherlock raw from MVM I saw pork on there dog food list?

Is pork safe to feed dogs?
Fundog

Re: Pork?

Post by Fundog »

Wild pork has a susceptibility for trichinosis, and precautions need to be made before feeding that raw.
Homegrown/farm raised pork, as a general rule, is very clean nowadays, and trichinosis is quite rare.
Store bought pork frequently (almost always in my area) is injected ("enhanced") with a sodium brine solution, to enhance the flavor and tenderize the meat, since all the flavor seems to be bred out of the pork these days.
It is that "enhanced" pork from the supermarket that is bad for dogs. Your raw meat supplier no doubt is selling "good" pork that has not been "enhanced." :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think another reason people are cautious about pork is that it's often more fatty than the dog is used to and can therefore result in loose stools. If you account for this possibility, get non-enhanced pork, and either get farm-raised pork or, if feeding wild boar, research the temperature/time you need to freeze at to kill trich, you'll be fine :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
master2

Post by master2 »

Would it be better to cook the pork? ( I'm in the UK) and do you think health food shops or butchers would be better than Asda?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

If it was me I'd rather feed pork from MVM as it's intended to be eaten raw by dogs, unlike anything from a butchers or supermarket. Plenty of people do feed it, but it's often advised to freeze it for a couple of weeks first to reduce the risk of parasites.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009