Coccidia

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Coccidia

Post by JudyN »

One advantage of using Wormcount (apart from reducing the amount of drugs I need to give Jasper) is they can spot other nasties in the poo samples besides worms - I've just found out Jasper's sample had a moderate level of coccidia. This would explain a couple of episodes of runny bum over the last couple of weeks, though each only lasted half a day.

I'll pop him into the vet next week but wondered if anyone had any experience of it? Do the standard treatments have any side-effects?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Coccidia

Post by Nettle »

Sorry can't help but would be very interested to know more.

Could the strange episode of the "part-digested egg" in fact have been parasitic (not necessarily coccidia)?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Could the strange episode of the "part-digested egg" in fact have been parasitic (not necessarily coccidia)?
You're not suggesting it was a parasite egg, Nettle? :shock: :lol:

Yes, I think they were probably connected - it was a bit of a coincidence for that to happen when he'd just had a bout of runny bum. My guess is that the egg went through too quickly for the membrane to be fully digested.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The vet was happy to prescribe Trimacare 80 for Jasper without needing a consultation, based on the email from Wormcount. I can't find much info about the treatment & side effects - there's a few of the usual 'My dog had it and he died' reports, of course :wink: It can sometimes take more than one course of treatment so I need to report back at the end of the course. As he's only had a few iffy poos, and as many antibiotics can cause diahorrea, though, I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell if he's better.... :?

I have some probiotics, so will give him them too.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sensible. :)

Keep us posted. Good luck Jasper's botty!

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We're nearly at the end of the course now. Jasper's been fine, no runny bum and no side effects.

I got out his lunchtime tablet today but before hiding it in mince decided I needed a drink of water right then. So with the tablet in my hand I went to my study, picked up my glass of water - and darn well near swallowed the tablet before I realised what I was doing :shock: :oops: Some days I'm really not sure I'm safe to be let out on my own.....
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol: at least you won't have 'coxy' .