Sleepless nights..........

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Sleepless nights..........

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Hi all

Firstly it’s been an age since I have posted on her so very few of you will probably know me or remember me, so just as way of background info I am proud mum to a, nearly nine year old, Doberman girl who I have had since she was eight weeks old.

She and I are the only occupants in our house and as such we live quite a quiet and peaceful existence (this is relevant I promise!), she gets a minimum of an hour’s exercise a day (it used to be a lot more but she is now arthritic and has DCM so it has cut down significantly) and is, and always has been, on a raw diet.

So to my question. Beloved Ellie dog is keeping me awake all night, every night and I am shattered. And yes she sleeps on my bed and always has done and I would be loathe to change this especially given as our days together are severely numbered following the DCM diagnosis. She is basically up and down all night, pacing, whining and sometime scratching (no fleas, no ear problems no skin issues or allergies that the vet can detect) and I am woken up several times a night most nights.

I had thought this might be due to her DCM medication which is vetmedin (aka pimobenden), sotalol and mexilitine as the mexilitine in particular is known to have neurological side effects, however this started before she was diagnosed. She also has spondylosis and osteoarthritis, but these don’t seem to have caused her too many obvious problems.

I did have a look on the web and it did suggest that restlessness at night could just be a result of ageing but I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts / a view. Mine were that this is perhaps a symptom of her illness? So she may be experiencing arrhythmias and this may be waking her? I will of course mention it to the vet when we are there next (Feb) but we are somewhat limited as to any meds that can be added to the cocktail that she is already on and I wondered if there were natural supplements that might help or if there is anything I can do environmentally / behaviourally to help?

Thanks all.
Erica

Re: Sleepless nights..........

Post by Erica »

An elderly dog I took care of was having similar problems with restlessness at night. After adding some melatonin to her evening pills, she slept better. It shouldn't be an issue with other meds as it's a hormone the body produces, but I'd definitely ask your vet to make sure and to check on the dose. I hope you can find something to help!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Thanks Erica that's really helpful and I will ask our cardiologist next time I'm there if its OK to try this.

I must say a lot of websites put it down to advancing years.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi! I remember you. :) A senior dog already, where have the years gone, huh? Good to hear from you.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

You may be able to ask over the phone for this - I know my vets are happy to take simple questions over the phone, such as "can I give x and y medication together."
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It IS often due to advancing years, but there is medication that helps with some types of senility, so you can research what's available and your vet can tell you whether any of it is compatible with the meds she already has.

Some meds cause hallucinations in some people, so again it is worth checking if any of the meds your dog is on can do that.

She may be in considerable pain and this does affect behaviour.

She may have another as yet undiagnosed condition.

She must get great comfort from being with you at night - I wouldn't change that.

I hope you find a good solution.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS