Suggestions on new puppy books?

Discussion of Victoria's books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

magnoliasouth

Suggestions on new puppy books?

Post by magnoliasouth »

Hi all! I'm looking for suggestions on positive new puppy books, in addition to Ms. Stillwell's excellent ones. I have always loved her and her methods and I used to be a Monks fan and thank goodness I have seen the error of those ways.

It may be important to note this as well. My daughter has recently begun working reception in a popular vet office. Two of the most frequent questions she gets are:

1. What training book do you recommend? (Naturally she recommends Ms. Stillwell's, so we know that one)
2. What 'raising a puppy' book do you recommend? (the one we're not sure about)

We are both BIG dog lovers and believe in rescue. For this reason we have never really raised a puppy. We tend to take in adults that are unwanted. That said, we're looking for a book that coincides with Ms. Stillwell's philosophy. Oh and if it matters, the vets have given my daughter free rein on the books she would like to recommend as they've seen her positive way of working with animals.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm so proud that she has the power to effect change. :wink:
CarolineLovesDogs

Re: Suggestions on new puppy books?

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

I love so many books, and even though a lot of them aren't specifically about puppies, most of things do apply to dogs of any age. However, puppy raising or training books? I really like Puppy Start Right by Kenneth and Debbie Martin. I also recommend a DVD called "Clicker Puppy" if they would like to watch a video instead of read. I can't think of any others for training puppies (though I am sure there are many more) but as I said, while some training and care topics are specific to puppy, most books can be applied to a dog of any age.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

One of the best ones I can think of for training and raising a puppy is Ian Dunbar's 'How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks', and also his 'Good Little Dog Book', easy to read and understand,and explains force free positive training and dog behaviour beautifully ;)
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Sanna wrote:One of the best ones I can think of for training and raising a puppy is Ian Dunbar's 'How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks', and also his 'Good Little Dog Book', easy to read and understand,and explains force free positive training and dog behaviour beautifully ;)
Great suggestions! Anything by Ian Dunbar is awesome!
DogSupport

Post by DogSupport »

1. Puppy Problems? No Problem!: A Survival Guide for Finding & Training Your New Dog. By Brenda Aloff.
2. Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog. By Dr. Ian Dunbar.

Both titles are available on Amazon.com.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Dunbar's "Before You Get Your Puppy" and "After You Get Your Puppy" are available as free .pdfs online. You could link to them on your practice's website and direct clients there, or Google brings them up very easily. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14