New Puppy, trouble with holding its attention

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alician

New Puppy, trouble with holding its attention

Post by alician »

Hello,
I have a new puppy, about 14 weeks now, and I am trying to teach her the basic commands. However, she doesn't stay focused on me and I have trouble getting her to pay attention even with treats.

Is she too young to start training? She's a boxer (and we think lab) mix. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her succeed?
Swanny1790

Re: New Puppy, trouble with holding its attention

Post by Swanny1790 »

Wee little puppies have an attention span roughly as long as that of a gnat. :D I look for trainable moments. When puppy comes bounding over for attention I reenforce that with a click and treat (I have both scattered all over the house to take advantage of trainable moments). When puppy sits, another C/T, when puppy looks at me, C/T. The first "lesson" is that good things come from the human, making me more of an attention getter. From there we can start working on simple cued behaviors.

The trick is being ready to take advantage of those trainable moments, with a pocket full to tasty (usually smelly) treats and a constant eye on the puppy looking for things worthy of reenforcement.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
alician

Post by alician »

Thanks! This is my first puppy. I have had many dogs bit they've always been young/adult strays :)
alician

Post by alician »

hen puppy comes bounding over for attention I reinforce that with a click and treat
So, if I am not good, currently, with getting Sakia (my dog's) attention, how can I train her with the clicker? She's got a bad case of puppy ADD that even after giving her a treat, she kind of frolics and tries to get me to play with her.
gwd

Post by gwd »

alician wrote:
hen puppy comes bounding over for attention I reinforce that with a click and treat
So, if I am not good, currently, with getting Sakia (my dog's) attention, how can I train her with the clicker? She's got a bad case of puppy ADD that even after giving her a treat, she kind of frolics and tries to get me to play with her.
you can clip on her leash........keep training sessions short........like maybe a minute, 2 is she's focusing.
Erica

Post by Erica »

And make sure you're in a familiar, boring room and you have yummy, smelly treats - real meat, not store bought dog treats as most of them are pretty boring to dogs. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My goodness: fourteen weeks? She's barely arrived :D

She does not have the concentration span for formal training. I don't know what you are wanting her to do, but right now think of her as a toddler, capture the moment as gwd says, and be happy with tiny successes. Build your bond by taking her out so safe places and watching the world together, a few minutes only at a time. Let her sit in the car, reward and out again, short journeys (5 minutes) reward and home again. At home, call her for nice things so she will come from room to room for you, but never for anything unpleasant, even mildly unpleasant. The same in the yard. You aim to be the source of the world's loveliest things.

Enjoy your puppy!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
alician

Post by alician »

Thank you all for the advice :)
Louisehg

Post by Louisehg »

http://youtu.be/WiSwb7iuVtw

The above link is a great example of how to approach training a puppy... Very easy and relaxed.
I began training my puppy from day 1 (8 weeks) and he quickly picked up the sit, down etc...
I've found training my puppy to be a lot of fun. :D
Louise
Coda-american cocker spaniel puppy, 6 months
http://codacocker.blogspot.com/
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

since this is your first puppy i think you should find a trainer.