my dog is making a "snorting" sound??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

XXpuppyloveXX

Re: my dog is making a "snorting" sound??

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

the vet just opened her mouth and had a quick look and felt around her mouth and checked her temp, she also said she hopes its not the stick because it would be like trying to find a needle in a haystake, Kerry is still pretty much the same today but she didnt get sick this morning so hopefullly she is on the mend
Siw-Malin Bye

Post by Siw-Malin Bye »

Dogs usaly don't get sick from this, but if it's not KC, and not a breed that normally snorts, it might be nose-mites, also highly contagious. ?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There is also a fungal condition of the sinuses that causes reverse sneezing. There are so many different possibilities.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Piper is my second dog that does the reverse sneezing. In Piper's case, it's not all that often and I've also noticed the episodes getting farther apart as she gets older (she's just over a year old). Neither she nor my other dog who did this dribbled or threw up though. Maybe Kerry has two different things going here. In any case, I wish you well with your dog and hope you get some answers from your vet soon.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

hi all, thanks again for your replys,

just to keep yas updated on how Kerry is doing, we taught since she wasnt sick today or yesterday that she was getting a bit better so we brought her on a walk, she hasnt been out since friday because she was unwell, anyway after bout 20mins or so she started panting like mad as if she was choking and got sick quiet alot, (white/yellow foamy stuff) she was not well at all, put her straight into car where she got sick again and straight down to the vets, there was people in front of us in the vets so we asked could we be seen to quickly because Kerry was obviously distressed, she was sick again in the vets, the vet had a look at her and doesn't think it is kc now, they are still unsure as to what it is, they have kept Kerry in and are doing some scope thing??? on her in the morning, so we will know more then,they also said they may have to sedate her to have a proper look down her throat and that, ah my heart goes out to her, hopefully they will find out what it is and i will have my little pal back tomorrow, thanks
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Thanks for the update. An endoscopy sounds a good way to go at this point. I had one done a few years ago and not sedated, but they did spray my throat with a numbing agent. Still, it was a bit unnerving so sedating Kerry is probably a good idea since you can't explain to a dog what's going on as you can a human. :wink: It will be much less stressful to her that way. I hope it gives you some answers. I'll be keeping you and Kerry in my thoughts.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

kerry is back home with us :D

She got a xray done this morning and it showed up nothing in her windpipe, the vet noticed she had a cut under her tongue so they investigated her oesophagus (tube where food goes down) not too sure if I spelted it right! anyway they found another cut in her oesophagus so they think that is whats causing all the problems, She is home now and on a course of antibotics, I have to ring the vet in 3days to see if there is any improvement, Shes just sleeping now, prob a bit tired from everything she has been through and I dont think she is talking to me because I left her in the vets :roll:
So happy she is home, she frighted the life outta us yesterday :D
Vinbu

Post by Vinbu »

Any chance anyone is still monitoring this thread?? My dog is doing the exact same thing...vet said reverse sneazing, but he's throwing up a lot, almost daily. I was just wondering how it turned out?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Vinbu wrote:Any chance anyone is still monitoring this thread?? My dog is doing the exact same thing...vet said reverse sneazing, but he's throwing up a lot, almost daily. I was just wondering how it turned out?
The poster's not logged on for a few years, so we're not likely to get an update. Did you tell your vet about the vomiting when you went? If it's got worse since then, it would be worth going back, with details of how long he does it for and how often he throws up.

Have a search for 'reverse sneezing' online and see if it sounds like what your dog is doing. You could even try recording it for the vet if they didn't hear him do it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009