my dog is making a "snorting" sound??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

XXpuppyloveXX

my dog is making a "snorting" sound??

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

Hi all,

I have noticed in the last couple of days that my dog is making a snorting sound as if something is stuck in her throat, she has also been sick (yellow thickish foamy) a couple of times as well, she is fine in every other way, she has always been a fussy eater so its hard to say if she is put off her food but she is eating any threats I give her, she is drinking alot but it is very warm here the last week or so, so I will put that down to the heat, she just making this weird snorting sound and it looks like she is about to be sick again, I did think it was like a cough sound yesterday but today it is a snorting sound, should I bring her to the vet? I did have her in the vets last week as she had gotten a piece of a stick stuck in between her back teeth and I couldnt get it out and it was bothering her so the vet took it out and checked her over and said it didnt do any damage but now I'm wondering could a piece of the stick be stuck in her throat? I'm starting to waffle now! ( just thinking out loud! any advice please but I think I will bring her to the vet tomorrow to be on the safe side, could it be kennel cough? she has not gotten the vaccine for kennel cough yet... any advice on the vaccine as well please and I could get it sorted when I'm in the vets,
thanks
Ari_RR

Re: my dog is making a "snorting" sound??

Post by Ari_RR »

Does she spend any time at a doggie day care, exposed to other (potentially contagious) dogs?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, definitely vet, could be kennel cough which is highly contagious, or could be something related to the stick.

When you make the appointment, mention the KC possibility as it would not be right to have a contagious dog in a waiting room with other sick dogs - then you can have the last appointment and no other dogs are at risk.

Don't walk her or let her near other dogs until you have a proper diagnosis.

Good luck :) hope it's something simple.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

thanks all

I have a appointment for her this evening so will let yas know how we got on, she is not herself today, she seems to be very tired and lazy. She is never around other dogs, just sees some on walks but she justs walks passed them, she doesn't have any interest in them. She was sick again today and has just picked at her food, Is kennel cough serious? should I get her the vaccine for it? I don't like getting vaccines when I don't know much about them, the vet had suggested it before if we were goin on hoildays and putting her in a boarding kennel but we wouldn't be doing that so thats why I never got it for her, she is also dribbling alot as well
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds much more like the stick than KC.

KC isn't serious except for very young, very old, pregnant and very unwell dogs. However it is highly contagious, so dogs should be kept well away from others. Infected sputum remains contagious for three-four days.

The vaccine isn't much good in most veterinary opinion, as there are many different strains of KC but the vaccine only covers a few, and it's pointless anyway once KC has developed.

XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

thanks for replying nettle :)

we went to the vet and she didn't think it was anything to do with the stick, she said it could be kennel cough because as you said it is very contagious, she checked her over and took her temperture and all that was fine, she gave me tablets to give Kerry for the next week just in case it is kennel cough so I will see how we go from there, Kerry is a bit livier this evening but is still dribbling like mad but hasnt cough/ snorted since this morning so I still don't know if it is kennel cough? the last couple of days it has been morning time that she is gagging and getting sick so I will keep a eye on her in the morning,
thanks again Nettle :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm concerned about the dribbling, which is not typical of KC. While dogs will show different symptoms, I remain concerned about the stick. Have you checked her very back teeth inside and outside in case she has something stuck in her gums?

Keep us posted.

Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

My first thought was reverse sneezing or a collapsed trachea...but she sounds like she might be in more distress than that, I don't like that she's dribbling and acting different, that sounds like she's sick.

Reverse sneezing causes a honking sound, you can find a lot of youtube videos of that. The dog I know with a collapsed trachea hacks really hard, always when she is panting hard or pulls against a collar. She'll open her mouth and look like she's retching, then give a hard, sharp single hacking cough, like she's trying to shoot something out of her throat. She'll project some spit when she does this and sometimes shudder.
XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

thanks for your replys :)

She is the same again today, was sick again this morning and the snorting sound is back. For some reason, she seems to be only sick in the mornings?? The snorting I have noticed happens after she has been asleep or when we are out on walks, she was out the back earlier running around with her ball and she started snorting aswell. We have just been having short walks the last couple of days because I dont want her around other dogs and also because she seems to be tired, other times durning the day there doesn't seem to be anything wrong her, so I'm confused, could it just be a stomach bug? I'm hoping that the tablets will clear whatever infection she has and If they don't we will have to go back the vet

thanks again
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If I were you, I'd see how she goes tomorrow and take her in on Monday, but if she gets worse, take her in earlier. Or at least phone the vet and discuss the symptoms as you have with us here.

What were the tablets?

XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

norodoine tablets 480mg, she has to have a 1/4 of a tablet twice a day, I'm going to google them now and see what I find, thanks Nettle
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Maybe they illness and the snorting are unrelated, it really sounds like reverse sneezing to me. Is it anything like these videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_d4sFbb6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ7zNQt4hyw
XXpuppyloveXX

Post by XXpuppyloveXX »

yes Maxy24 thats exactly what it is like, i have looked at your videos but i have my comp on safe mode so cant hear the sound but it looks exactly the same... sometimes though she gets sick :( is it serious???
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Reverse sneezing is a symptom not an illness in itself, and can have a multitude of causes, most of which are not serious at all. However you do need a diagnosis to find out what is causing it, and your vet has to do that.

Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Reverse sneezing is often caused by throat irritation. My dogs gets it from pollen and other small irritants like that. It is possible that the stick could be irritating the throat and causing it if there's still something there. But it is not normal for a dog to vomit when reverse sneezing. Did the vet take a good look down there when you brought her?