herding breeds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tj11

herding breeds

Post by tj11 »

hello everyone
I am looking to get a dog. I owned a chow and a samoyed before. I am looking to get a herding breed. what are some herding breeds that are friendly to strangers? I am looking to get involved with therapy work. I thought of a collie, sheltie, corgi or an aussie. thanks for the help
Flyby

Re: herding breeds

Post by Flyby »

Sorry TJ11, you're not getting many replies. I only drop in here once in a while for a look.

The only herding dogs I know locally are Border Collies, and they are bred to herd things. So much so if fact, unless you are herding sheep, they might be a bit of a handful to keep well exercised and mentally stimulated. Of all the working dogs I know, I think collies love to be working more than any other breed.

It depends what kind of therapy work you're thinking about, but Collies will try very hard to please you. :D
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Hi there. I have had two shelties in the past and adore that breed! One would have made a great therapy dog, he just had that type of personality. My female, on the other hand, though a fabulous family dog, wouldn't have thrived or done well in therapy as she had a whole different personality than my male.

Right now I have a Pembroke Corgi that I absolutely adore and who is a true social butterfly. :D She loves everyone and everything and would do extremely well as a therapy dog.

But honestly, I think in any breed you'll find exceptions both ways and lots of your success will hinge on first choosing a dog that has confidence and then building on that through training. :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

Most herding breeds are not stranger lovers, they are aloof with strangers but attached to their owners. They are not usually aggressive or nervous, just disinterested. Aussies are one of the more protective herding breeds. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if I were going for a therapy dog I'd want a breed or individual who really enjoyed strangers. I know a few people on another forum who have Corgis (pembrokes) that love strangers. Collies might be a good bet, I don't know enough about them but they don't seem to be as reserved, they also don't seem as prone to fear issues as something like a Border Collie. Perhaps ask around on some breed specific forums. Also the breeder you go to will make a difference, talk to the breeder about their dogs, meet their dogs, that will give you a better idea too. Just make sure whatever breed you choose is also a good fit for YOU, not just good for therapy work.
sassynsweet

Post by sassynsweet »

We have a 1 1/2 year old Aussie and I have to agree with the above poster, Aussie's (as well as the herding breeds in general) are typically more reserved with strangers and loving/close to their people. Ours has never bitten anyone, but has a pretty mean sounding "big girl bark" and doesn't like strangers in her space. Typically once we tell her it's okay and she sees the person is accepted by us she's all tail wags and kisses. I have heard of Aussie's making wonderful therapy dogs too though, so it really depends on the dog not the breed. Good luck with your search!
Alix
**Proud mommy to a tri-color Aussie & yellow Lab**
smokeyandme

Post by smokeyandme »

What about using mixed breeds? They are generally hardier, and somewhat less likely to have ingrained tendencies.
Don't jump on me, I have a purebred too! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mixed breeds still have the characteristics of their genetic background, so anyone wanting a dog for a specific purpose needs to KNOW (not just a dog rescue staff member's guess) what the breed mix is. Otherwise you set yourself up for failure.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS