Impromptu Agility Course Ideas?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Re: Impromptu Agility Course Ideas?

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That's all right, Troop. It's just been a while that anyone has posted any new ideas, but the tire idea is a good idea! :D When I can't get my dog Karma outside because of deep snow, I pile anything I can find in my basement and make sure it is safe before I use my "make shift" agility equipment, including tires and tire rims! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
whispa

Post by whispa »

I took my dog to a fun show and let my son take him around the little agility course. They had a very low dog walk which had carpet on the ramp up and down but left the middle with bare paint. Ben and I do agility with a club in Edinburgh, and have been for just over a year. He was going at a steady pace but still slipped off :cry: It took a little while to get his confidence back.

I made a dog walk and am in the process of making an A frame, and I mix sand into the paint I use to give extra grip, or if using carpet cover all of it, to avoid a frantic spider impression.

Whispa xxx
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

Wow, this is an awesome thread... I just started a makeshift agility course in our backyard. I have two very energetic, intelligent dogs (ok, one a lot more energetic than the other) that need a lot of exercise and training to stay tuckered out and calm. My husband started by building a wooden "bridge" that is a simple A-frame. The dogs can crawl under it on command, or climb up and over it. Then this past weekend we got some weave poles. We went to the store and bought some fiberglass driveway reflector poles for only $1 a piece. They're the perfect size. Within minutes both my stepson (who is only 9 years old) and I were prompting the dogs to go around the poles. My Belgian Malinois went nuts for it. I seriously need to add some more obstacles. I don't know of any agility groups in the area and I have no formal experience with it as a dog sport, but man do my dogs love what we've already come up with.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

When building home equipment some important things to keep in mind....safety first and foremost.

With all jumps, ensure the jump bar is fully displacable and not locked in place. If you do not know you dog's jump height, keep your jumps low (small dogs 4-8") (Med dogs 8-12") and (large dogs 12-16") to prevent injury. For dogs under 18 months, they are still developing and should not be jumping more than 8".

Weavpoles should be space 24" a part. I've trained at home using tomato stakes pounded in and a PVC sleeve over them.

As far as contact equipment. Lower is better, especially if these things are new to your dog. The dog walk especially can be very frightening at full height. Consider the dog perspective of the obstacle. From the up side they cannot see the plank going across. Likewise the board is the same width as the teeter. Many dogs will confuse the two. Keeping the walk low (2' up) gives plenty of work and a place to train contact behavior.

Wobble boards are easy to build..just a large flat pieces of plywood with something underneath to allow the board to shift. It can be something cylindrical, or half round with the round side up.

If you are interested in training, please contact a trainer to learn the obstacle and then build it at home. It will be safer and better for both you and your dog.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yesterday, when my family and I were out grocery shopping at our local small-town grocery store, I happened to spy a children's backyard obstacle course in one compact little box, for just seven dollars. The kit contained a couple of hurdles, some cones, and inflatable balls and hoops. It was intended for five year olds, so it isn't terribly large or complex. I have to wait until next payday to get it, but I intend to pick one up asap. I will let you all know what I think about it then! Even if it turns out to be a waste, it is only seven dollars--- and my neighbors might like it for their little boys, if nothing else. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Fundog said
Yesterday, when my family and I were out grocery shopping at our local small-town grocery store, I happened to spy a children's backyard obstacle course in one compact little box, for just seven dollars. The kit contained a couple of hurdles, some cones, and inflatable balls and hoops. It was intended for five year olds, so it isn't terribly large or complex. I have to wait until next payday to get it, but I intend to pick one up asap. I will let you all know what I think about it then! Even if it turns out to be a waste, it is only seven dollars--- and my neighbors might like it for their little boys, if nothing else.
I was thinking you could still get it and use it for both you and your dogs, you know, kind of doubling it as a dog agility course and your own workout course, so both you and your dogs get a great work out! :D Wish I could find some good garage/yard sales around here with that! :( But, I will keep looking! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

Since last posting in this thread, I have added a lot of skills to the list that my Malinois can complete. I am working hard to build focus and he can now watch me (my face/ look directly in my eyes) and wait for commands. I am interjecting a lot of basic obedience commands during the little agility stuff. I've compiled a list of sites of trainers around the area and in the next month or so I'm basically going to interview these established businesses to determine which place is best for us. Samson already knows basic commands, in German, and can respond to them watching only hand signals, no vocalization. He is just too smart though and I know he has a lot of needs due to his personality and breed. I am going to see who has agility or other dogsport groups and seeing which would be best to formally get him into.

In the mean time, he does perfect on the A-frame we built. Looked up specs on weave poles and those are spaced correctly, he can do those, too. Also building a platform for him. In the meantime he also can go under a bench or jump over it on command, or climb up on it and sit there and wait for further direction. I think next I am going to invest in a tunnel and a hoop.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Slightly off-topic: If you're looking for any agility books, check out cleanrun.com; they have other agility supplies there too.

On topic:
I'm so envious that your dog can weave already. Betsy can do about 4 on her own...with the guides!
Shepherd103

Post by Shepherd103 »

My dad is a plumber and a drainlayer! So I get all the PVC pipes and equipment I need- its just the building of it! :lol:

My dog loves heights and see saws! He is currently jumping over a meter! Sometimes I like to add new things like bush jumps and use my mum's washing rack for him to practise going under. :lol: But I also use our 10 metre agility tunnel, which is....too long! :lol:
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103
Secret Someone

Post by Secret Someone »

This thread has made me extremely excited. I think Pan might be getting a home-made agility course soon. :D
bendog

Post by bendog »

It's an old thread, but just thought I'd post my dogs on their home made agility course. It's only a bit of fun, not serious agility by any means, and it's a small garden, so not much room for more obstacles, though I like the idea of a seesaw, or balance beam/dog walk.

Poppy http://youtu.be/XCTGuEzSU8g
We added a couple of spins at the end to show off - it's her latest trick

Ben http://youtu.be/GY7XP8GdTPY - boyfriend managed to get his thumb in the way of this video!

We bought the tunnel, but the jumps/weave poles are bamboo canes, which cost £2.99 for a pack of 20, and balanced on plant pots to make the jump. Because the canes are light they can be easily knocked down and won't hurt the dog if they catch themselves on one. The jumps are tiny because Poppy is only 9 months old still.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Your videos are wonderful, Bendog! Your dogs did a great job!! And I'm glad you posted to this thread, it reminded me that I wanted to give this a try in my backyard. With spring weather here, now's a good time for me to re-read all the ideas on this thread and get going! :D :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks Suzette. The tunnel was our biggest outlay - about £15 (not sure in US dollars!), but we thought it a good investment since our dogs, being terriers, are made for tunnels. We'd also like one of the half collapsed tunnels, and are thinking about buying one, but I might just adapt the normal tunnel by sticking a sheet on the end for the collapsed part.

Do post videos if you have a go!
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Wow... Poppy and Ben - way to go, awesome!!
We don't have enough secured, fenced-in space for something like that, so we'll try to find a lure coursing event near by.
sophi41

Post by sophi41 »

I can prise off some of that old lumber from the dog house and use it to make stuff like jumps and ramps, and I can balance a bit of ply wood on a mound of dirt for a teeter totter.