Regergitating (sp?)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RoddyB

Regergitating (sp?)

Post by RoddyB »

Hi,
We've had Poppy the rescue border collie for 6 months now (the time's flown - feels like we're always had her!) and last night she regergitated her dinner. It was almost exactly the same as it had initially gone down! Really revolting!
My sister's dog does it quite often, but that's because he charges round the house/ garden/ fields once he's eaten.
Poppy does bolt her food - must be from being in rehoming centres and being fed with more exertive dogs. Should I be worried about the dinner reappearance and is there a known way to calm her down when she's eating so it's not as quick? - it takes her under 30 seconds to eat a meal, I think the record is 15 seconds.
PS She eats same size meal twice a day, cooked chicken and arden grange dry food - she's got allergies.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I suspect this is because she has bolted her food down superquick, and suddenly its not comfy..... so back it comes.

Can you feed her seperately from other dogs nad possibly put her food in a kong toy? So she HAS to chew at it and work at it, rather than inhale it!

Thats what id try first of all.

Em
RoddyB

Post by RoddyB »

She does eat on her own - we leave the room.
I've noticed she's got several habits that she does that have no meaning anymore - she used to hate going in the car, now she likes it once she's in, but we have the performance of her doing what she used to do when she was scared, but in a very half hearted manner - there's no fear attached, it's like she thinks - 'oh, this is what I have to do when it's time to go in the car'.
Same goes for cooking - she sits in what has now been dubbed 'cookery corner' - she gets in the corner and faces the wall when the oven goes on. I put stuff in the the corner now so she can't get in it when we cook and she 's completely fine - all strange habits that have long since lost their original meaning - I wonder if this is the same with bolting her dinner - she used to have to when she was in rehoming centres so the big dogs didn't take it from her - it's just another behaviour which is no longer necessary, it's just what she does..?
RoddyB

Post by RoddyB »

Thanks Emmabeth - she loves brekkers and supper in her Kong! It now takes 30 minutes for her meals to be finished rather than 30 seconds!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep, these little quirks are learned now, so despite her having no need of them as coping strategies or reactions to certain situations, she still does them.

You are doing the right things, as long as preventing her from doing them doesnt upset her and clearly it seems it doesnt, carry on.

You may find after a few months of eating from her kong the habit of bolting food is broken so you could go back to feeding from a bowl, although i wouldnt purely because for her, feeding from a kong is more enjoyable.

Well done for understanding her behaviour, a lot would think she was crazy or annoying but shes not, shes just learned a set of behaviours that help her cope and although now they are redundant she still does them through habit.

Em