Picky Eater

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emnemsh

Picky Eater

Post by emnemsh »

Hello i was wondering if anyone can help me. My staffy cross is a rescue dog who i have had for about a year and a half, he has been a picky eater ever since ive had him we have taken him to the vet its not a health issue as far as we know, we'v tried changing his food it doesnt make a different and we have tried different times and places for his bowl. He still only either smells it or just picks at it for a while. He eats eventually after a few hours (but i cant have him eating at 11 at night as he uses the kitchen as a toilet!) or he will wait untill the next day when he only eats half! i dont know if hes waiting around for something better to eat or if its a dominent thing but i dont know what to do!
Help!!!
Thanks Emma
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ok,

Firstly, what are you currently feeding him? (and what did you try inthe past, and how long did you try it for before changing again).

Secondly, how much are you feeding? I find staffie types can often be very 'good doers' and dont need anywhere near as much as it suggests on the packet.

What i would do is this. Make sure the food you pick is a good quality food, half the amount you are currently giving and put it down twice a day, tell him 'food time' and leave the food down for just 10 minutes.

Use an egg timer! After ten minutes, pick it up, (if its dry you can just put it out of the way until tea time). put it away.

Do not give any treats during the day, do not offer any other foods, except at the next meal time. Do not try to make the food more tasty by adding anything to it (unless you want to, in which case, do that before he refuses, not because he has refused!).

Keep this up, if he really doesnt eat it for five days, take him to the vet as there may be some health problem. Or, he REALLY doesnt like that food.

Most dogs dont get to five days! and no healthy dog will starve itself.

Make sure fresh water is on offer at all times of course.

You do have to be absolutely strict and not leave food down, and not give treats.

Id also question what makes you think it is dominance? Why would it be? Its in all probability, a combination of him not actually being that hungry, food thats not that appealing and food that is always on offer!