Beagle VERY obsessed with food!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

i_luv_my_pups

Beagle VERY obsessed with food!!

Post by i_luv_my_pups »

Hello!! I have a 4 1/2 year old beagle and she is VERY VERY VERY absessed with food. She has always been this way but it is getting very annoying. She has a slow-down bowl(the bowls that are divided so the dog has to work to get her food sortof) because in a regular bowl, she would be done in about 5-10 seconds. I make her sit and wait while I am feeding her and she does but she is prancing with her front paws and drooling. I feed her about a cup of a dry purina food 2x daily and she eats dropped food trough out the way. I was eating a granola bar today and she ignored her favorite toy that i had in my hand and refused to play her favorite game, which she ALWAYS wants to play!! She has never bit me or anyone else and I know she never will, but this food obsession is just ridiculous!!
Please help,
i_luv_my_pups
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I think that's just beagles...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It isn't ridiculous: it's perfectly normal for many types of dog.

Chill. It isn't important.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

If I'm making food in the kitchen and my dog DOESN'T charge in to see what I'm doing and checking the floor for anything dropped, or if I'm eating on the couch and he doesn't sit next to me with his chin on my lap waiting to see if I'll offer him anything, there's something wrong with him.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Beagles are known for being really food motivated :) Bruiser's (my 8 1/2 month old beagle) motto is "will work for food." If I want him to do anything, all I have to do is show him food. We've had to block off the cooking area in the kitchen because Bruiser will actually guard me from the other two while I cook. He'll stand directly between my legs and stare the other two down, and if they get too close to me he'll flip out. And by flip out I mean he would go on the attack. So don't think your girl is ridiculous--imagine what it could be like :)
i_luv_my_pups

Post by i_luv_my_pups »

yeah it is mostly her breed but it scares me cause if she ever got into too much food she wood literally eat her self to her death!! she almost did it once!! Noobs-mine too!! there have been i believee 3 times in her life when she didn't want to eat and we immediatly tood her to the vet!! lol!!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Just try to prevent it from happening. We've put their food in a rubbermade type container that locks so they can't get into it. Our doxies are also really into food--to the point that they would get into the undersink cabinet we kept the trash in and eat the left over junk. Our oldest got into it after a Halloween party and ate left over spicy nuts, candy corn and a bunch of other junk. He was sick for two days. We've had to start putting the trash can on the counter because they are bigtime dumpster divers.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

You said you feed purina? Please read the DIET threads. Purina is a very poor quality of food. :twisted: I'm sure you will rethink your choice once you go thru some of the DIET threads. Happy Reading! :D
i_luv_my_pups

Post by i_luv_my_pups »

it is? oh :( well, I'll buy a different kind from now on. what kind do you suggest??
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Your very own thread right here has a huge debate on which foods to feed.

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=2463

Check that thread again and see if any of the name brands catch your eye. You can also check this site which reviews different foods and see what is suitable for your dog.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I never met a Beagle that did not like it's grub. My sister had one that would take the canned food out of the bowl and try to bury it in her sofa. Gross! A cup of food is a lot to my way of thinking. Puppies need more food while growing but an adult dog does not unless it is a working dog.

As for watching everything you put in your mouth, of course, they see you eat and it must be good. Try training the dog to stay out of where you eat your meals. Try the "go to your rug" training if you eat in front of the TV and we all do this from time to time. I hate having a nose in my plate or paws on the counter while I am preparing food. If you feed them from your plate your doomed. They don't know when it's ok and when it's not. It might be ok for you and your family but your guests won't like it much if there is a dog in their plate.
The best days are spent with my dogs.