RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

RECIPES: For Kongs, Meals, Treats, Snacks, and Food Toppings

Post by Fundog »

Some of us have offered a few recipes here and there. Some have come here asking for recipes. Let's combine what we've contributed (or have not *yet* contributed) into one tidy thread for quick and easy access. If we turn out some winners, perhaps the mod will make it a sticky thread so it will remain easy to find! :D

*mod edit - your wish is my command :)*
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Giblet and Spinach Soup

In a large saucepan, simmer to boiling until thoroughly cooked:

1 lb. chicken giblets and hearts
1 clove of finely chopped garlic
1 pinch rosemary
1 pinch sage
1 bay leaf

2 quarts water

Optional: a boneless, skinless breast you just happen to have, that you don't have plans for-- you don't need to purchase it special.

When the meat is thoroughly cooked, remove from the broth with a slotted spoon, and cut up into smaller bits, then put back into the broth.

Add 2 cups frozen spinach

If the water has boiled down, add more water also.

Bring it back up to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a small cup, put 1/4 cup flour, and with a spoon quickly stir in cold water, at a trickle, to the half-cup mark. Gradually stir the flour/water mixture into the boiling soup. Stir constantly and continue to boil for a few more minutes, until it is a little bit thicker than before, but not so thick as a stew or gravy.

Spoon into freezer safe pints, cool, and freeze.

This soup is wonderful warmed up and poured over dry kibble, or even by itself. To make it tasty for people, add some salt and onion.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Another good kibble topping (or treat) is meatloaf. If you have a good meatloaf recipe that you and your family like, you can use that, or you can make one especially for your dogs. This is the one I came up with:

2 lbs. ground turkey
3 eggs
1 eight oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
garlic, thyme, celery seed, oregano

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, eggs, tomato sauce, and spices. Add in the oats and the vegetables, mixing well.

Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares, cool, then wrap and freeze.

To use, thaw out a square and crumble it over kibble. Add some warm water, and mix well.

You can also use the crumbled bits for training, or you can stuff it into a Kong.

My girls sampled the meatloaf in their breakfast this morning, and thought it was fabulous!
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Here's a simple recipe for dog biscuits.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup milk

First mix the dry ingredients (baking powder and flour) together, then mix the peanut butter and milk. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes and allow to cool. They should be a sandy colored brown, and if you try one, should taste faintly of peanut butter. Store in an air tight bag and you may refrigerate or freeze.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
TerrierTerror

Post by TerrierTerror »

DogzRule1996 wrote:Here's a simple recipe for dog biscuits.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1 cup milk

First mix the dry ingredients (baking powder and flour) together, then mix the peanut butter and milk. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes and allow to cool. They should be a sandy colored brown, and if you try one, should taste faintly of peanut butter. Store in an air tight bag and you may refrigerate or freeze.
Just one thing I need, what temp. do you bake them at?
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." <i>~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912</i>
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

350. Sorry I forgot to add that.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

WAIT I'm so sorry my mistake its 375 not 350. I got my numbers mixed up.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Mashed banana, grated carrot, grated apple and yoghurt. Mix it up, makes a great kong filling, freeze if you want to!!

I also just stuff a whole banana into the kong, really squish it in, they have to chew and really work to get it out!

I make treats using fish skins, roll them up and dry them in the oven on a low heat, then you can use them as a treat or stick them in a kong or similar. Again, they have to chew to get it to break up enough to come out.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Treats:

Hot dog sausage, cheese, pepperoni, all chopped up into tiny little snippets no bigger than a fingernail.

Squeezy cheese in a tube - preferably the ham flavoured kind! Fantastic for dogs who will lick a treat or take one but wont chew it, when training.

Kong fillings:

Scrambled eggs made with grated cheese in it, and little pieces of bacon or ham, stuffed into a kong and then allowed to cool and put in the fridge to set quite firmly - i believe it is possible to make a Kong omlette also but ive yet to find something suitabley runny egg proof to block the hole at the bottom whilst it microwaves.

Chunks of carrot and apple in a garlic cream cheese smeared kong. Smear the cream cheese inside with your finger so theres plenty in there and its quite stinky and then fill with chunk sof apple and carrot. Good for dieting doggies as the majority of the filling is veg/fruit with only a bit of the cheese but it smells good and strong so they like it and feel it is a treat.

Leftover Kong - bits of left over people food - put one of the more stinky items in first so its up against the small hole where doggy can smell it but not easily get to it. Then fill up with whatever you have and wedge the big hole with either a dog biscuit or a big chunk of carrot.

Dinner Kong - if you feed kibble that can be soaked, fill the kong with kibble THEN soak, and then feed immediately... or freeze on a hot day.
Alternatively mix the kibble with grated hard cheese and then microwave, and then cool so the cheese sticks the kibble filling together.

For raw feeders, stuff with raw meat and freeze. (Raw feeders can feed frozen meaty bones as well though, no need for a kong there!).

Kong-pops:

Make up a gravy either weak with gravy granules (dont use as much as you would for people as its usually quite salty), or with real chicken or beef stock (dont add salt) - use that as your base, blocking the hole in teh kong with a bit of cheese or something and then fill the kong with veg, fruit, dog biscuits etc.. and then top up with the gravy-water and freeze.

Giant Icepops.. to keep dogs amused on summer days, fill a washing up bowl with water, you can flavour with a little real fruit juice or a weak low salt stock or gravey if you like. Chuck in chunks of fruit, veg, meat if it will be eaten fairly quickly, dog biscuits, bones... whatever your dog likes really... Freeze until solid.

You can make this morefun by freezing a rope ragger toy into it too if you like as a handle, though beware a lump of ice being flung around by a dog can make a lethal weapon!!
TerrierTerror

Post by TerrierTerror »

DogzRule1996 wrote:WAIT I'm so sorry my mistake its 375 not 350. I got my numbers mixed up.
Thank you for the recipe!

I actually made them 2 days ago and Carson loves them! Infact, I've been stealing a few myself, haha.
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." <i>~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912</i>
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Your welcome.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The other night when I was grocery shopping, one of the items my son put on the list (he is the cook, the menu planner, and shopping list maker) was boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Well, when I went, the meat case was all out of boneless, skinless thighs, and I could not remember what he needed them for (it turns out it is chicken fettucicne alfredo), so I got the "regular" kind. Now, what I told my son to do is, when he is preparing the thighs, to pull the skins off and save them for me. I will boil them to make a broth, discarding the skins afterward. Then I will add some vegetables to the broth and freeze. "Waste not, want not!"
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Why can't the dogs eat the skin too, they sure would if they caught a chicken :lol:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The idea just grosses me out, really. And I had heard that eating raw chicken skins can make them sick. That may be a falsehood, but I really don't want to chance it. But really, they would probably pull them out of their bowls and strew them about the house, or try to bury them in the sofa cushions, etc. Ick!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

From years of experience of owning dogs, I have never had one dog that became sick from eating chicken skins. Just think of the other things dogs eat of another mammal and notice how they won't get sick unless the carcass was rotted or poisoned.

wvvdiup1