Help my dog isn't eating his food

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maryd

Help my dog isn't eating his food

Post by maryd »

You are all probably sick of hearing from me but I have another situation. My 8 pd dauschund Cooper is not eating his food (which is Iams). I wanted to switch his food anyway because when I wrote before about dog food for the new dog I was getting feed back that Iams is not a great food and overpriced for what you get.

I am wondering since I would like to switch Coop off of this food now since he isn't eating it very well anyway what would you recommend that I switch him to. I want to be able to put him on some food that I would be able to put the new dog on. I am obviously not getting the new dog until September but I would like to make sure to have all of this in place.

And I am starting my job at Petsmart so I would like to get a brand that I would be able to get there since I get a 15% discount.

I have been non stop researching this stuff and my mind is going to explode!!!

Also, sorry this hasn't to do with food but could someone recommend the size collar I should get for my new dog which will be probably a Great Pyrenees. I have seen a few on sale and would like to get one now and I know that I will have to get a couple of sizes but I need to know which one to start with.

Again, I wouldn't know what to do with out all of your help. You are all making me a better dog parent.
Mary D
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Wellness Supermix 5, Wellness Core, Dick Van Patten Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo are several better brands available at Petsmart. However, I find everything at Petsmart overpriced. You would do better if you found a local feed store that carries another brand of food such as Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. In Metro Atlanta, we pay $37 for a 35lb bag.
Suzanne

Mom to Gemini, English Mastiff, and Isis, Great Dane
maryd

Post by maryd »

OH my gosh I heard of that dog food but I thought for sure that it was a book not just a dog food. I do believe that they sell that in my area I will check that out and see. If I can't get a good brand at Petsmart and if even with my 15% discount it is still over priced I am not going buy from there. I am definately going to check out the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers' Soul. Is this going to be a good food for both my current dog (dauschund) 8pds and the new dog that I will be bringing home in September (great pyrenees)?

Thank You :D
Mary D
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

From what I've heard, if you have a Costco near you, you could buy their Kirkland's dog food. I also heard that it is under $25 for 40lb and has good ingredients.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
maryd

Post by maryd »

DogzRule1996

Thanks for the information but I live in the middle of nowhere and I looked on their website and there is no Costco with in 50 miles of where I live. Of course, if I still lived back home (near Chicago) I would have no problems finding a costco.

Do you know anything about the dog food that Rachel Ray promotes? I haven't been able to find information on it but I do know they sell it at Walmart. I have a feeling it isn't that good only because the price of it is good but they promote it like it is all natural.
Mary D
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

The foods at Wal-mart are not that great. You can try Innova or Canidae or Royal Canin. They might be a bit pricey but from what I've heard they are great food for your dog.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
maryd

Post by maryd »

SuzanneT

I looked up and there is a location about 15 miles from my house that sells Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. I was pretty happy with the price and the ingrediants look good also. I think I will go and get some to see how Cooper likes it.

I see that you have larger dogs and I am going to be getting a large breed puppy in the next couple of months. How much do you feed them? Mine is going to be a Great Pyrenees. Also, I can't seen to figure out what size to get him for a collar to start out with. Do you remember what size you got for your big babies?

Thanks Again about the advice for the food. I just started my Petsmart job today and I was walking around the dog food isles for EVER looking for a good food and it is just to over whelming for someone with ADD.

Mary D
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

We brought home our Great Dane in January and bought her a cheap $3 collar from Walmart. I think it was 8" - 14", and it was still too big. Once she outgrew that, I bought a Martingale Lupine collar off of Ebay. They beat the prices that stores or online stores carry them for and they are adustable.

It took me a while to figure out food for these dogs. I go to the Great Dane Lady's website for that information. Greatdanelady.com. She is a good resource for some things. And, if you feed your Great Pyrnnees puppy food, make sure it is ONLY for a large breed. Many breeders only feed Giant Breeds adult food, even from weaning.
Suzanne

SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Sorry, I go to the Great Dane Lady's website for feeding amounts for Giant Breed Puppy's.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/a ... breeds.htm
Suzanne

zeus'fostermom

Pyrs and food

Post by zeus'fostermom »

hi Mary .. I'm responding to this post awefully late so not sure if you'll still see it or not.

I got my first Great Pyrenees a year ago. I'm lucky to belong to a Pyr club and be around people who know that breed well. It's a great ride owning a Pyr!

Re food - Pyrs have a low matabolism (sp?) and eat less that most dogs their size and usually less than what is recommended on dog food's feeding guidelines. For example, my 100+ Pyr eats about 3 cups of kibble/day. I supplement with yogurt daily as well as veggies and raw meat once or twice a week for a treat.

I've also heard it recommended that you feed a kibble with no more than 26% protien. This can be for many reasons .. too much protien can be hard on growing bones, kidneys and can induce skin problems.

Enjoy your Pyr pup!
Foster failure ... I've adopted Zeus !
maryd

Post by maryd »

Thank you so much for your advise. I knew that they were suppose to have less protein but I wasn't sure what the ratio was. I am so glad that now I can go and look for food that will fit his needs.

Thanks Again!!!! :D
Mary D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

DogzRule1996 wrote:The foods at Wal-mart are not that great. You can try Innova or Canidae or Royal Canin. They might be a bit pricey but from what I've heard they are great food for your dog.
I have weird dogs, apparently. I've tried Innova, Canidae, CSFTDLS and other good-quality brands. All my chi's want is Alpo Come 'n' Get It. Price doesn't bother me, but if the dogs won't eat it, high-quality seems to be meaningless.