Vitamin Supplements?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Vitamin Supplements?

Post by Fundog »

Does anyone give their dog/s a multivitamin supplement with their food? I've been making a stronger effort at giving the girls more "people food," so that almost half of what they eat is now from our own refrigerator/crisper, pantry, etc. I saw some bottles of dog vitamins at the store the other morning, and it got me thinking, wondering if any of you who feed raw give supplements, and hoping I am giving the girls an adequate balance of all of the nutrients they need. (On the other hand, I did successfully raise two humans from birth to adolescence, and they've thrived, so maybe I need to give myself more credit?)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't.

You should indeed give yourself due credit :D

Elderly animals sometimes benefit from supplements, as they don't always process their food so well, but otherwise as long as a good variety is fed, there is not normally any need.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

The only supplement we give our dogs is Fish Oil Capsules. We buy them at Costco, and my husband and I take them every evening with our dogs! Pretty hysterical, since the dogs act like the capsules are a huge treat.
Suzanne

Mom to Gemini, English Mastiff, and Isis, Great Dane
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

If you are feeding a well balanced diet, you do not need to supplement with a vitamin supplement.
Rhonda
&
Huck-Miniature Australian Shepherd
Wyatt-JRT
Callie-All American
www.freewebs.com/jacksrfun/homepage.htm
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Most of the time if you feed a well balanced dog food or put together a well balanced feeding like fresh veggies, fruits if they will eat them, you really don't need a multi vitamin. I do also buy fish oil caps from Costco for them and for me and I put vitamin E oil on their kibble. There is a product I get from my holistic vet called Transfer factor, it comes in powder form and I sprinkle it on her yogurt. she will lick it off a plate if I am out of something to put it on. I give this to Maia only because she has a poor immune system, don't ask, it just makes me mad to think about it.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
norske

Post by norske »

If you feed a well balanced diet I see no need for supplements of any kind. Most people who supplement for their dogs are doing it for themselves me thinks. I think that adding veggies and or fruits is kind of silly, but if it makes people happy then that is cool.
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

I don't give a vitamin supplement because I try to make (and hope!!!) my dogs' diet is nutritionally complete. I do add glucosamine/condroitin supplements starting around age 4 or 5 because sport dog's joints take such a pounding. Sort of the "once of prevention" theory :)