Feeding

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Cavalier Owner

Feeding

Post by Cavalier Owner »

After reading the threads here, and it does compound a few doubts I have had regarding all the blended diets on sale in the shops, but find that most of them just blind me with science.

Can anyone recommend something that would be a good diet for my cavaliers, bearing in mind that I have limited space for freezing food for them.

The idea of giving my dogs "raw" food appeals to me a great deal more than shoving chemical-laden feed or feed with high sugar content into their little bodies (esp considering the heart problems Cavaliers are reknown to have). However by the sounds of things, the space required to keep this kind of diet might put it out of my reach.

I don't like feeding canned food due to the high sugar content in it and the effect is has on animals teeth/breath. So I am currently feeding Pedigree chum small bite complete feed which is dry and after numerous tries with other dry complete feeds is the only one I can get them to eat, but with which I am still unhappy with. Tried Autarky's (which I liked the sound of) but they weren't having it at all.

Am also wondering a little about feeding bird meat with bones in it? do you crush the bones up? Was always told that bird bones can splinter in the gut...