Caution About Essential Oil Diffusers

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Caution About Essential Oil Diffusers

Post by Fundog »

Hey all,

My veterinarian is also a clinical Herbalist and Naturopath. Recently he did a webinar, and the subject of using essential oils in diffusers came up. He cautioned us all about using EO Diffusers around dogs, saying, "Dogs' bodies do something to essential oils that we don't do," and stated that the veterinary community is "seeing a lot of dead dogs" from the use of diffusers.

That being said, please exercise caution and consult with your veterinarian regarding the use of a diffuser and/or essential on or near your pets.

I just wanted to share this message with Everyone, since I know diffusers are very popular in this community.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Caution About Essential Oil Diffusers

Post by Nettle »

That's a good call, Fundog.

I am qualified as an Aromatherapist and you don't mess with essential oils. They are powerful medicines.

Though I suspect the ones used in diffusers are synthetics. Which are quite possibly very toxic - for us too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks Fundog - that's well worth knowing :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I am also a certified aromatherapist and in the process of getting my animal aromatherapy certification. While some company's oils are not pure, many are and are used in diffusers. Cat's especially should not be diffused around. They lack the liver enzyme necessary to break down the oils so a toxicity will build up over time if they are continuously exposed leading to illness and possibly death. Dogs do have this enzyme but not all oils are safe around them for other reasons. If in any doubt, contact a certified animal aromatherapist. (This is its own specialty and not many human aromatherapists truly understand how they work with animals.)

This is a very important and timely thread as essential oils are so very misunderstood and often mis-used with and around animals.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Aside from the issues already mentioned, given that a dog's sense of smell is so very superior to ours, it's highly likely that such scents in their immediate environment would distress them psychologically as well as physically.

As you say, Suzette, Aromatherapy used for health reasons on animals is a separate skill and requires much extra study.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS