Swollen Lymph nodes

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CaraN

Swollen Lymph nodes

Post by CaraN »

Hi All-
I have a 2 yo extra large dog. I took her to the orthopedist yesterday for a check up (she had loose hips and pain as a puppy). I had noticed in the last few weeks she has just been off. Acting weirdly aggressive at times, seemed depressed, not coming upstairs to say hi in the morning, etc. Anyway, the ortho instantly touched her around the neck and found her lymph nodes very swollen (she has a lot of extra skin and fur and I just never noticed, i guess). Anyway, she is suspecting some kind of tick borne illness at this point. I have her on Bravecto, but I have previously found ticks on her but in very early stages or already dead or just cruising not having bitten yet. We do a lot of hiking together and live in the northeast. We are waiting for blood test results and will need to probe further regarding the swelling if we don't find anything.

Does anyone have any experience with tick disease in their dogs? I ask esp. from a behavioral standpoint. Is it possible that her recent weird aggression is caused by it? I saw some info online with both people and dogs saying that it changes behavior. The behavior change just seemed kind of sudden and she just has not been herself.
Nettle

Re: Swollen Lymph nodes

Post by Nettle »

If she is feeling lousy for whatever reason, she will show different behaviour, just as we do. Dogs that feel ill and therefore vulnerable can produce a range of behaviours that are not usual for them.

However, before you definitely put the odd behaviour down to illness. do check what may have changed in her day-to-day life.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
CaraN

Re: Swollen Lymph nodes

Post by CaraN »

Thanks. I am still waiting for blood results. After a few days of anti-inflammatories which were originally perscribed for her hip she is back to her calm, happy self.