Backpacking with Bax

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Backpacking with Bax

Post by Shalista »

I've been going on hikes every weekend with bax and we did the car camping thing and had a blast. im starting to plan for a weekend backpacking trip next year. bax is raw fed and obv refrigeration wont be possible on a mountain. what are my options? Am i doomed to kibble? should i wean him onto it or just blast him with it just for the weekend and then switch back to his chicken as soon as he gets home? thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Backpacking with Bax

Post by JudyN »

How about a freeze-dried raw food?

Also, have a look at 'cold-pressed' dog food. There's a brand in the UK called Gentle which is meant to be suitable for feeding alongside raw - I don't think you can get it in the US, but there are different types.

Whatever you use, do a test-run first to make sure it agrees with Bax!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Re: Backpacking with Bax

Post by ZaraD »

I took gentle with me to Alaska just in case but there was no need as my family had plenty of raw meat but mainly fish \ salmon and both dogs were more than happy to survive on a salmon diet :lol: , I also mixed there diet up by giving them the gentle food in the mornings and both did well on it which is good to know when I holiday in the UK. As in October were going to Llandudno for a week in a caravan park and the fridges are tiny so I prefer to give them something else so am glad they have done well on gentle :D