Not eating meals

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

andymill

Not eating meals

Post by andymill »

Can I ask some advice.
I have 2 dogs, on aged 7 a Lab/German Shep cross and a 10 year old terrior cross.
Last few days they have both started eating less at meal times. I have tried changing their bowls, the kind of food they eat and so on.
It's been really hot so I have been walking them first thing in the morning and thing at night to make sure they don't over heat.
They seem fine in themselves other than being a little more quiet than usual (which I put down to the heat).
They still beg for treats and scoff down any bits of sausage or chicken offered but won't eat their dog food.
Any ideas?
JudyN

Re: Not eating meals

Post by JudyN »

It's probably simply because of the heat - it can affect their appetites. I'd put down a little less food at each meal, and make sure they're not getting more high-value treats than they would normally. They probably feel like I do - not interested in a normal 'proper' meal but still up for ice creams :lol:

Hopefully their appetites will pick up when the temperatures drop but obviously if they don't, or you're still concerned, it would be worth checking with your vet.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
andymill

Re: Not eating meals

Post by andymill »

Thanks.
I know I'm not eating meals so I guess the dogs are feeling the same.