Vomiting bile followed by pain

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Vomiting bile followed by pain

Post by JudyN »

Jasper vomited up some bile & grass earlier, which didn't worry me as he's been eating quite a lot of grass now it's nice and juicy. Straight after, though, he was hunched up and whimpering. He had a couple of half-playbows to try to relieve it, and then just lay down on the grass in the sun. He seemed fine a few minutes later, and ate his tea as usual, though to be on the safe side I just gave him mince & not his usual carcass. His tummy seems soft and not distended at all (I haven't felt it firmly though, you know what he's like :wink: ) and he seems absolutely fine now.

So I'm wondering... could the pain simply be the result of the gut spasms that brought up the bile? Or could they have displaced a bit of bone in his gut? He hadn't had bone for 24 hours but he does suck at digesting them.

Obviously I'll monitor him for any more signs of something amiss.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Vomiting bile followed by pain

Post by Nettle »

Probably not anything to worry about, but if he was mine I'd be giving him either several big plain biscuits, or some thick slices of toast. MUST be toasted in case a chemical raising agent has been used in the bread. This from my vet, who champions raw food but allows the use of bread/biscuit to mop up possible intestinal nasties.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I should have remembered that Nettle, thanks. He's absolutely fine today. Next time...
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

Does the chemical raising agent increase the risk of bloat @nettle?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yup. Bloats us out too, but as our digestive system is rather different, is only uncomfortable rather than dangerous.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Do you know how toasting changes the composition of the bread to prevent bloating, given that it's already been baked? I've been trying to find out online but most of what I'm finding is 'Six amazing foods that cause bloating and how our magic supplement will give you a flat stomach overnight!'
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i dont know but for humans we're always supposed to toast bread to go easier o nthe digestive system.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

JudyN wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:04 pm Do you know how toasting changes the composition of the bread to prevent bloating, given that it's already been baked?
I wondered the same thing. Hope we can get someone to enlighten us...
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Googling 'toast is easier to digest' does bring up quite a lot of results (some more convincing than others). And thinking about it, toast has always been my 'go-to' food if I'm getting over a stomach bug.