Homemade dog treats

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Homemade dog treats

Post by Shalista »

im now 2/2 for two very picky dogs loving my new dog treats. Super simple and only two ingredients.

Chicken breast
Salt

Chop the chicken into treat sized pieces (it shrinks but not much)

Salt generously

Spread in an even sheet on a baking sheet. Try not to have any touching pieces because they will stick.

Bake at 250 for FOREVER (at least half an hr)

Make sure to shake the sheet occasionally and use your hands to break up any chunks.

When the pieces are hard and starting to brown a little bit turn the oven to 350 and blast em for 10 min to get a good crunch to them.

remove from oven, cool, and store.

They should be a light brown (not burnt) and hard as a rock and super crunchy.

Bax devours them from the hands of complete strangers.

WARNING: err on the side of caution with the size of the treats. these suckers are HARD and if you make the pieces to big your pup wont be able to scarf them quickly and they may end up having to gnaw it for a bit.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Homemade dog treats

Post by JudyN »

Do they taste salty? I'd be a little worried about adding unnecessary salt to the diet. Though I'll happily sprinkle it on my chips :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ill be honest, i didnt taste them =P id consider these more treats than a staple of their diet so you can salt in accordance to how often you give them. Bax gets them once a week and only a small handful and he gets no other salt in his diet so i'm okay with it. tbh even if your generous with your salt its still prolly less than a milk bone and DEFINITELY less than a bully stick.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sounds good :D I shouldn't be so picky about treats anyway given the amount of pizza crust Jasper gets to eat :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Will have to try this. I have a dehydrator and it sounds like something I could make with that!