What does give your dog a job mean really?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

What does give your dog a job mean really?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

Ok so I want to understand for when Sampson's better what does it really mean when books say give your dog a job to tire him out?

As my mom thinks it means like working trials , agility ect but I think a job means the same as mental stimulation in that you just give them activitys to do the stimulate them mentally like brain puzzle toys, training , chew toys , brain games ect.

Just want to check I understand it right.
JudyN

Re: What does give your dog a job mean really?

Post by JudyN »

It doesn't have to be agility, etc. It can be the simplest thing, like fetching your slippers. As we did so much work on Jasper giving me socks etc. when he was a pup, as he used to guard them, he can also now pick up my dropped hankies, or if a sock drops through the bannisters when I'm sorting the washing I can send him to go and get it.

Or I can give him something to 'take to Daddy'.

It's a darn nuisance when he brings me things I don't want, or snatches a sock out of my hand so he can give it back to me again, but it's worth it.

I'm not sure if there's a difference in a dog's mind between this and, say, treat balls - 'Please can you get all these treats out of this perky ball?' Maybe because these, chew toys, etc. are rewarding in themselves, the dog sees it differently.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thank you Judy, just wanted to check I understand properly :D , I wonder if I could teach Sampson to fetch things like Jasper fetches socks :wink: :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Like Judy, as a by product of working on resource guarding Merlin invented jobs himself. Today he brought me a bird's head, he thinks it is his life mission to find interesting things he thinks I might like. My mum thinks I should train him to steal useful things like gold and diamonds, but Merlin thinks I like sticks, dead things and various broken parts of children's toys. He's very careful about his thievery, but not very sneaky. He thought that if he moved slowly my nan wouldn't see him carefully steal one of her glass ornaments to give to me. Was quite funny. :lol:

A job can be anything, as long as it involves solving some sort of puzzle. That puzzle could be solo like puzzle games, wobblers, or it could be with you like herding, agility, or more mundane tasks like the washing! Merlin is always keen to help me with the washing, picking up any stray clothes I might have left in the washer. He takes his job quite seriously, it took forever for him to drag a wet jumper round one day. :lol:

At the moment I am trying to teach him to clean up his own toys / chews in the evening as a job, but he just sees that as a frivolous task and thinks it isn't worth his while. :(