Degenerative Myelopathy?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Degenerative Myelopathy?

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so one of my employees is looking at adding a boxer to her family , she already owns a flat coated retriever. The thing she was told by a customer who owns a boxer to check the tested for Degenerative Myelopathy DM for short, anyway she has been looking at breeders and is finding it hard to find a breeder who DM tests a breeder she did really like she asked why don't you DM test and the breeder said she use to test for it but even if mom and dad are both clear the pups can still get it and she said she decided to not test anymore after one of her down boxer who was tested as clear still had it once she got older so the test is unreliable and even if a dog is tested clear it doesn't mean they won't develop is or that there offspring won't get it. If the test was more reliable she would use it.

So after doing further research she found a few websites saying the same thing that the test is unreliable and that's why a lot of breeders don't use it.

Just want to ask if this is true? And what's your advice as now she's wondering if she shouldn't be worried if the breeders don't test?
Lotsaquestions

Re: Degenerative Myelopathy?

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I think that the DM test isn't 100% conclusive, BUT it gives you a good chance of the odds. Low risk, average risk, high risk. Personally because it is such a horrible condition I would only go with breeders who test / have no incidence of it in their lines just to hedge your bets. A bit like hips and knees, the better the score the less chance of the puppies having dysplasia or patella luxation, but it isn't a guarantee as nothing in life is.

Both of Merlin's parents are clear of luxation, but he has it (low grade) which is just the luck of the draw.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks lotsaquestions, I pass this on but year you never know so it's best to still get tested.
CaraN

Post by CaraN »

You could maybe ask the breeder if you could do a DNA test on the puppy you are interested in or else even just the Mom. I think results take a few week, so it really depends on your timeline. Embark is more pricey but really a lot more comprehensive. There may be holiday sales right now.
CaraN

Post by CaraN »

Also, I thought Degenerative Myelopathy had a known genetic cause. SOD1 gene. Not like hip dysplasia which is more complex.