Need help

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Need help

Post by ZaraD »

My sister brought a present for Sampson a tin of wet food , I'd never heard of it and it say natural and grain free so I put half of the tin in his bowl and he ate in seconds the quietest he's ever ate food :shock: :lol: , he then tried to grab the tin to eat the other half so I quickly put it in his bowl and again ate it in seconds. Here's the food he tried https://www.aniforte.co.uk/collections/ ... g-for-dogs

Iv orderd more flavours as my mom is diabetic and has a weak immune system and has been ill twice when Sampson has picked her so we have to be careful that he doesn't pick her so iv been thinking of trying him on something else but he hates dry food and wet until he's tried this :D
Last edited by ZaraD on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZaraD

Need help

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so after looking into it , it's gonna cost over £100 a month to feed as I buy my food monthly.

But I don't want mom to be ill again so I always thought dry was bad for dogs and that raw was the best followed by wet as dry food is plain and boring for dogs? Are any dry foods actually as good as raw for dogs, I can't remember who now but a family member feeds Eden dog food and Sampson likes this?

Sampson has tried both and only likes the moist dry https://edenpetfoods.com/products/dog-f ... t-duck-and

Currently he only has raw in the morning and in the evening he has what we have for dinner.

So every morning raw meal and then as follows

Monday- Salman , veg, sweet potato
Tuesday- chicken, veg, pumpkin
Wednesday- Sea Bass , veg, courgettes
Thursday- lamb , sweet potato, veg
Friday- Salmon, butternut squash, veg
Saturday- Sirloin Steak , veg, butternut squash
Sunday- Sunday lunch ( without the Yorkshire pudding and gravy)

These are his evening meals so if I do switch to dry his evening meals would be the same and then dry in the morning. During the day he snacks on fruit and mainly veg like celery and carrots. He also loves cucumbers.
Shalista

Re: Need help

Post by Shalista »

Cant offer much help but just poking my head in to say that frozen Brussels sprouts where a huge win for bax and he loved crunching them. took him a while to nuzzle them and crunch them up cause they're basically frozen balls of ice.

though Sampson is prolly a bit larger so it may not take as long :oops: :oops:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Shalista wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 am Cant offer much help but just poking my head in to say that frozen Brussels sprouts where a huge win for bax and he loved crunching them. took him a while to nuzzle them and crunch them up cause they're basically frozen balls of ice.

though Sampson is prolly a bit larger so it may not take as long :oops: :oops:
Year I only buy sprouts at Christmas, it's a traditional thing but when I let him try some cooked ones last week he swallowed them whole with no problems :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My vet is very anti feeding sprouts, as he says they are just the right size to choke a dog. Given that he is an enthusiastic raw feeder, I take note.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

@nettle yeah given bax's small size i was never worried but for someone like sampson that may be a possibility. :cry: :?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Raw suppliers UK?

Post by ZaraD »

Year he won't be having sprouts again unless there mushed up first as I only gave him one and he swallowed it while luckily with no ill effects.

And on the food front my uncle said what might be making mom ill could be were you get his meat from, so I might try another supplier instead as my uncle feeds raw and is diabetic and has had no issues.

Anyone no any good raw suppliers in the UK? I was using MVM meats.
JudyN

Re: Raw suppliers UK?

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 amAnyone no any good raw suppliers in the UK? I was using MVM meats.
Nurturing by Nature: http://www.nurturingbynature.co.uk/

Though dog lick is going to have pathogens in whatever you feed them and my guess is your mum's illness was nothing to do with what you fed. If your uncle feeds raw, you could try his supplier?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Re: Raw suppliers UK?

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 am
ZaraD wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 amAnyone no any good raw suppliers in the UK? I was using MVM meats.
Nurturing by Nature: http://www.nurturingbynature.co.uk/

Though dog lick is going to have pathogens in whatever you feed them and my guess is your mum's illness was nothing to do with what you fed. If your uncle feeds raw, you could try his supplier?
My uncle said that some meats can already be badly infected and that's why he changed from MVM meats but he now feeds a complete raw which is no use to Sampson as he hates any kind of offal just won't eat it which the one he feeds has a lot of offal in.