How much does she need?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

How much does she need?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

My neighbor is thinking about adopting a new dog a 4yr old healthy Dalmatian. Beautiful dog. He also has a 5yr old Labrador who gets 2hrs of exercise a day and at weekends gets longer was and bike rides. The rescue said this should be fine for a Dalmatian but he's read they never calm down and need closer to 4-5 hrs of exercise a day :shock: . So I though I'd ask on here for him as he really likes her and she gets on great with his Labrador.

My question is mainly just how much exercise would you say a Dalmatian would need in a day? More or the same as a lab?
Last edited by ZaraD on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotsaquestions

Re: How much does he need?

Post by Lotsaquestions »

4-5 hours a day of pure exercise?! Jesus, I doubt that can be true.
ZaraD

Re: How much does he need?

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 am 4-5 hours a day of pure exercise?! Jesus, I doubt that can be true.
Exactly what I said which is why I told him I'll ask on here first as he's reserved her as he has to wait for a home check but he want to make sure he's doing the right thing it's just the exercise that got him worried now. I mean I know there active dogs but 5hrs :shock: I thought Dalmatians were closer in energy to the Weimaraner
JudyN

Re: How much does she need?

Post by JudyN »

According to this website http://www.dalmatianwelfare.co.uk/living-with/exercise/ ' At least an hour of exercise, once or preferably twice a day should be a minimum for an adult Dalmatian. Some of that time should be spent off the lead, free running.' According to the PDSA, they need 'over two hours a day', and I also spotted 'aim for three hours a day' on Mumsnet.

Individual dogs will vary - my friend has a very calm dalmatian - so your neighbour might want to think up some mental/physical activity games for the dally to keep him occupied if he's still bouncing off the walls after his walks.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Thanks Judy , In my opinion no one can tell really as every dog is an individual.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

It could be a case of they could to 4-5 hours a day, like Huskies, but in reality they don't need that much so long as their walks are interesting and their brains are also stimulated. For example Merlin could run around a boring field for hours without getting his energy out, but one hour in the woods and he's shattered because his brain is always ticking away.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Year he's asked a breed club who said that Dalmatians are very adaptable and can take as much exercise as you can give and that the reason so many end up in rescue or why people say there's is hyper or hard to manage is because they are most likely bored Dalmatians that are not given anything to do Dalmatian will be happy with a 30min run in morning and a 30min walk in evening as long as there given plenty of mental stimulation throughout the day as Dalmatians are a thinking breed. after this advice he's going ahead in rehoming her. :D