Persistent Loose Stools 4/5 month old pup

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: Persistent Loose Stools 4/5 month old pup

Post by Shalista »

not to derail the thread but... i happen to be rather fond of slugs and snails <3 but then... i dont have a garden :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If the wormer used was a poor make (not all are strong enough) or given in too low a dose, then it would be possible for large worms to survive it. I'd get the gut working properly then worm again with a vet-approved wormer.

I have used diatom. successfully as part of an external parasite programme - in bedding and in my chicken coop - but no experience of using it internally. If using it, be certain you have the very very fine veterinary variety as there is a coarser version available that I understand is for use in swimming pools (?) which might well cause harm.

Worms are one area where I don't go for "natural" as parasites are natural and IMO need chemicals to shift them. But it's all about choice, and others go the natural way and are happy with it. Either way though, a faecal worm count would be useful to establish whether this dog has a worm burden.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Some more food for thought... recommendations for 'natural wormers' will often say 'I've used this and no chemical wormers for 5 years and my dog has never had worms': for around 4 years or so now I haven't wormed my dog, but used Wormcount, a service that screens poo samples for worms, so you only need to treat the dog if worms are found - and in that time, he's never had a sample test positive for worms.

Not that this is particularly relevant now as you need to get her digestion sorted before considering long-term routine options, but something to bear in mind.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

Our vet does in-house worm screening, and (after puppy deworming) only gives dewormers if needed. I don't know if it's because of the environment or something, if worms transfer better in some areas and thus dogs are at higher risk when they live in x area compared to y, so a "treat every dog" approach makes more sense than a "test, then treat" approach. It is one of the vets offices that's more accepting of new/alternative treatments, so maybe it was based on client demand, with people asking if their dog had worms before accepting a deworming treatment.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

Hey, it was Panacur (Fenbendazole) so fairly standard sort of thing, from the vet. Thought she might have a touch of giardiasis as well so it seemed the best option and a five day course.

I know it doesn't deal with tapeworm but am hoping she doesn't have that. Next wormer will be tapeworm specific just in case but am going to give her guts a chance to recover.

She has had proper squits today, liquid, not much at all and she has been fine in herself but hhmmm.

Two more roundworms discovered, disgusting things.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Panacur is a good product and is clearly doing the job. Equally clear is that your pup has quite a worm burden and you aren't going to be able to fix it quickly. Just one of those things - it'll all be better eventually.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS