Long lasting chews

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Long lasting chews

Post by Shalista »

So i have finally done it. I'm swearing off all processed food for bax. this last round of peeing has done me in. no more stuffed bones, no more bully sticks, no more 'pupperoni' flavored cheese whiz for his kong. I'm THROUGH!

.... but now i'm stuck. Any long lasting treats i can make at home for him? Freezer space is a bit limited. I know about freezing kongs and freezing cubes of broth stuffed with goodies. anything else? I have a dehydrator and an oven at my disposal. I'm looking for long lasting snacks to keep him occupied. (think bully sticks or maybe something to easily stuff a kong with thats better than peanut butter?)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Long lasting chews

Post by Nettle »

It's the act of chewing that comforts rather than the chewie being food, so think outside the box....the cardboard boxes....the screws of paper...the towel puzzles..... the big raw vegetables....all of which can have tiny healthy treats hidden away in them. Real food, not processed with lots of dye and salt.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yeah i know he really loves disassembling a paper towel tube stuffed with rolled up paper towels and treats.

thoughts on getting him interested in chewing on cardboard boxes? we have a TON for the holidays and i dont think anyone would mind if a few disappeared :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Raw Feeding Miami's rawhides have been a hit with all the dogs I know - they're not heavily processed, just fur removed and dried in the sun. Our dogs never made much of a dent on them in one sitting, so I don't think it would upset his stomach unless its the chewing + excess saliva that's causing an issue. ;) I know you said stuff to make at home, but these are pretty reasonably priced (especially for a small dog) so I figured I'd mention them!

As for getting into cardboard boxes, hide a smelly yummy treat in there (or his dinner, if he loves it) and just let him try to open it. We also tease our dogs with old cereal boxes or paper towel rolls a bit - dart them out into grabbing range, then quickly pull them away - and then give them the box to destroy.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I stuffed a box with paper towels wrapped around microwaved smelly treats. he can smell it. he can SEE the paper towels (which are ALWAYS wrapped around treats right?) but he cant quite get them yet. so he keeps nosing the box around the room with occasional pauses to whine at me. "but mooooooooooooooooooooooooooommm there's treats here! why won't you get them for me!??!??!?"
Erica

Post by Erica »

Lift a little corner so he can stick his nose in? He may be able to just pull them out through that, but it'll show him that he has to get through the outer layer and he might be more prepared to chew next time :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ZOMG i forgot how timid my little guard dog is. I remember now that i used to stuff boxes to work on his confidence nosing at new things. I finally tore open a corner for him and he consented to sticking just the tip of his nose in to snag the corner of a paper towel. He's such a scardy cat still =P he's destuffed 3/4 of it but some of it is pretty far back so im gonna loosen it up for him. no tearing or chewing but i def think he's way to timid to try anything like that. i guess i'll keep this box around and try again later? i mean, he's still thinking and puzzling, he's just not chewing, so i call it a win!

but my GOD he's so timid with this box. You'd think it was made of dripping dog skin and demon bones. poor lil guy, he has a tough life :lol: :lol:

He's come so far though! when i first made these boxes he was scared of EVERYTHING. its great to look back at how far he's come!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

And how far YOU have come too, Shalista :D You have both done so well!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
3spoiledpets

Post by 3spoiledpets »

I think I actually posted this as a response in one of your other posts as well, but my dog Sasha LOVES frozen raw bones, which you can buy at most/many pet supply stores. They have the marrow inside them still so the dogs really have to work to get that out, and it takes Sasha (who is a VERY avid chewer) at least an hour, usually two, to completely clean them out. The benefit is that it is a raw snack for them so is very nutritious, and it also helps to clean their teeth as bone is "nature's toothbrush". Additionally, after they have cleaned the marrow out you can also refill it with peanut butter and freeze.

I use the Primal brand, but there are other brands as well!