Heater

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Heater

Post by Shalista »

So I have a question about heaters. I have a small space heater that puts out a moderate amount of heat. you can put your hand on it without burning yourself. Bax LOVES it. he will sack out in front of it for as long as it's on. He'll be panting like crazy but have his eyes closed and he just basks in it all day.

I'm just wondering about health effects? He's sat in front of it with no problem for as long as I've had him but today he vomited in front of it. I'm not sure if that's the cause but it got me thinking. You wouldn't put a human in sauna for hours on end would you?

What are your thoughts on letting dogs sit in front of heaters for ages?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Heater

Post by Erica »

I think it might be a kind of "frog in the gradually boiling water" deal where he doesn't realize how hot it's getting. Maybe move him away from it every now and then so he can feel the difference in temperature?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Our terrier would cook, given the opportunity.

He may dislike being moved away from the heater, so how about you switch the heater off at times? Coupled with this should be providing a really soft warm bed. Doesn't have to be expensive - old duvets are very cosy, and dogs can rake around in them to make a dog nest.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Hahaha yeah Bax doesn't have a "dog bed" because he destroyed the last one he had but he has a couple of spots in his room with blankets piled up for nesting including a comfy armchair piled with blankets that's basically just his.

I'll def have to remember to turn it off occasionally, the frog boiling analogy makes a lot of sense.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13