Bulge

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Bulge

Post by Shalista »

So I have an odd question.
I came home today and bax was excited to see me as ever. He hopped up on the chair and i gave him lots of pets. While i was petting him i noticed he had a round bulge at the base of his shaft. Bax was neutered at 8 months. Now sometimes when he sees me he gets so excited that, as my sister charming puts it, he gets lipstick. This time there was no flesh showing at the end of his shaft but he was rock hard and he had that bulge. I took him on a walk and by the time we got back he was calm but there was still a palpable bump at the base of his penis. He's been neutered for over a year. did i miss an anatomy 101 lesson or is there actually something wrong?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Bulge

Post by JudyN »

Nope, it's normal - they're glands. Male dog anatomy lesson here: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/males-swollen.html
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

And neutered dogs can still mate and tie. There just won't be any pups.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hahaha i feel better now, i was a bit worried.

... what is 'tie'?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

When dogs mate, the glands you've seen swell and trap the dog's penis, which is much longer than most people know, inside the b itch. The dogs then turn rump to rump. They cannot separate until the swelling goes down, which usually takes about half an hour but can be well outside that time. That's called the 'tie'. The b itch controls the timescale but if the dog didn't have those glands to swell inside her, it couldn't happen.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Never knew that :shock:

dogs are awesome :lol: