Bleeding tail

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Bleeding tail

Post by JudyN »

Every few months, Jasper's tail does this:

It looks just like he's stuck the end in a tin of red paint :lol:

It never bleeds profusely, and once it's dried off or been washed off it doesn't reappear. We've never had a problem with 'happy tail' where he wags his tail in the house and redecorated the walls. I can't see any sign of a wound but it's difficult to see the end of his tail through the fur.

It's as if there's a scab on the end that gets periodically knocked off, but it happens infrequently enough that any scab would have healed. I had assumed he caught it on brambles etc. when running, but it happened this morning on a lead walk. The only time I can think it might have happened is when we met a friend on a narrow path - maybe he wagged it hard against a tree. Or he possibly did it when unsupervised in the garden.

He never nibbles it and I'm not worried about it, obviously, but I'm just a little puzzled as to why it keeps happening. Though someone told me a while back they caught the hairs on the end of a foster lurcher's tail in the car door and the damage caused to the end of the tail wouldn't heal. The dog ended up having to have some of his tail amputated. Could Jasper be getting hairs caught up in something and damaging the skin?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Bleeding tail

Post by Nettle »

It doesn't take much for lurcher tails to bleed as the skin is paper-thin and they don't heal well. I doubt there is anybody with a lurcher who hasn't had to manage a tail injury at some time. There isn't a lot that can be done to strengthen the skin. You must have had a grass or paper cut on your hand at some time too :) it's that easy. I expect there is scar tissue at the end and the skin is extra tight.

Sorry can't offer a miracle cure, but others may know more. I'd be inclined to put some aloe vera on the tail end once it has healed, but Jas may not approve of it, and it may not be all that helpful anyway.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks Nettle :D I wasn't after a cure, as it doesn't bother him in the slightest and it's not continuing to bleed (no sign of blood there this morning). As usual, I'm just curious :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Aaaww, poor Jasper! And poor Judy! What Nettle says makes a lot of sense to me. It's like since I repeatedly sprained my ankles as a kid, they sprain much more easily now than most, 'cos of the prior injuries.

I doubt you have to worry about not healing and potential amuptation - I think you'd soon spot any signs of infection (I'm sure you won't mind sniffing his tail now then to check! :lol: ) then whip him to the vet if there was any sign of trouble. Hugs to you both!