Eating Grass

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JoP

Eating Grass

Post by JoP »

Hi - first time user and feeling v v nervous. Never done this before.

Can anyone tell me why my 3 y/o Lab likes to eat grass. He is quite choosy and particularly likes a certain type of grass in the fields. Sometimes I think he must have some cow genes in him :lol: He is very healthy in all other respects and gets loads of exercise, bones to chew, veggies such as carrots, cabbage in fact any veg or fruit he can get ahold of - like raiding the compost heap for some 3 day old delicacy. I'd love to know if I am doing something wrong with his diet. Thanks.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

As far as my own experience can tell (so bear in mind im not a vet), its a perfectly normal thing dogs to, all my four will do it and they get fed a raw diet and part of that includes veg - i expect they for some reason feel the need for the roughage.

Sometimes they will do it when they need to be sick as it would appear to help them bring stuff up, but its certainly always the case, and unless i knew the grass had some kind of weedkiller etc on it, id never prevent them from eating grass.

As an aside, my dogs also like to pick their own herbs (when i had a herb garden, i dont now as they h ave picked the lot!), and certainly didnt choose the same ones every time but seemed to pick the ones they needed.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the board,

Em
loza123

eating grass

Post by loza123 »

i heard that dogs like the taste but as emmabeth said they can be sick because when mine comes back from eating grass he is sometimes sick