Bleeding gums

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Bleeding gums

Post by Shalista »

I've noticed that when bax chews things he tends to leave spots of blood on what he's chewing. Is this normal? I'm not as proactive as i could be in the toothbrushing department. is this why they bleed? the vet checked his teeth and said they didn't need to be cleaned.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Bleeding gums

Post by Erica »

Since a vet cleaning a dog's teeth involves full anesthesia, they probably won't recommend it until the dog is suffering (unless they're an exceptional and proactive vet) - there are risks with anesthesia, and it's pointless if the owner doesn't change something to keep the dog's teeth clean afterwards. What kind of things is he chewing when they bleed? If it's something like a tennis ball, with no hard edges, I would personally step up tooth cleaning, via RMBs or toothbrushes. If it's a scuffy Nylabone, with pokey outy plastic bits that could scratch the gums, I would not be completely concerned - but I'd be looking at the teeth. If there's discoloration, I'd clean more.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Re: Bleeding gums

Post by Shalista »

I just noticed it cause his birthday "toy" is his very own roll of paper towels. i all ready keep them high out of his reach cause he loves to chew them so i figured no harm in letting him have at it for his birthday. (he's also very good about JUST shredding and not eating. figured he could unleash some terrier and really destroy something tearable for once.) (also feeling guilty cause my car is broken so i couldn't buy him a proper toy for his birthday) I noticed small spots of red on the towels as he gnawed on it. Image

Also how do you know you're really getting at the gums when you brush? He hates toothbrushes so i wrap gauze around my finger and use that but my finger is pretty big and hes got a tiny little mouth :?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13