Annie's Vet Visit Today

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Annie's Vet Visit Today

Post by Fundog »

Whew! The sun came out and the roads were dry today, so we finally made the 100+ mile round trip to the veterinarian. I have been very concerned about Annie's health, noticing what looked like symptoms of canine diabetes: drinking a lot of water, going outside more frequently, constantly asking for more food, etc. So I got her in to see the vet as soon as I could. I was also successful at collecting a urine specimen to take in.

So the good news is, the urine specimen came back clean-- no sugar, no protein, no bacteria, zip-nada.

Next came the geriatric exam/assessment. She is obviously in a lot of pain, stemming from her back end. Got her some Tramadol for that. Otherwise, appears to be in good health on the outside, so more good news.

Then we did a blood draw. Oh my poor old puppy was shaking like a leaf, absolutely terrified at this point! It was just heart-breaking. :( But we got the sample. And then we had to wait around town for a couple of hours for the results --- the clinic was extremely busy today, so it was an hour before the technician even had time to run the blood through the machine! -- then another hour waiting for the machine to do the work....

Anyway, the vet ran a cbc, (complete blood count), and a comprehensive panel with electrolytes. And.... the vet announced "her blood work is beautiful; there is not one thing wrong. She just likes to drink water!" :mrgreen: The vet also said she is in remarkably good health for her age.

Oh, my heart is so happy! It was a long day, but worth it in the end. My beloved puppy is simply getting old-- and that makes me sad, but she is in excellent health, so she should be around for a few more years yet. :mrgreen:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Re: Annie's Vet Visit Today

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant news, Fundog :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wonderful news - long may she remain in good health :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

That's awesome! so happy for you (and for her!)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13