Bacon

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Bacon

Post by JudyN »

I snipped up the leftover chicken, and sausages wrapped in bacon this morning to stick in the freezer as dog treats (OH made far too many). I know bacon is too salty to make a good dog treat and peeled some of it off, but some was well stuck on. Common sense tells me that with a dog of Jasper's size & metabolism a little bit of bacon (butcher's, not supermarket packaged) is nothing to worry about, but how much bacon is too much?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Bacon

Post by Nettle »

When he's sick, it was too much :lol:

If it's going to worry you, throw it away, but given Jasper's size, the equivalent of half a back rasher a day would probably be okay. But of course if he fills up with water as a result, you have another problem......
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you :D I'm sure the little bags I've made up have well under half a rasher each. And though sometimes he'll get through a bag in a day, other times they linger in my pocket until I have to throw them away before they pose a more serious health issue :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I sometimes use leftover bacon for treats, not very often (as I'm a terrible wife who only does a full English about twice a year.. :lol: ) but P has on occasion probably had about 2-3 rashers worth in one go with no side effects ;)