Summer heat and water

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo

Summer heat and water

Post by Theo »

Greetings to all,

I live in Greece and as you might imagine summers are a tad hot over here. My question is this; on particularly hot days (for eg. they predict that this week, all week the temperatures will range around the 38-40 Celsius mark) is it ok to use the hose in the balcony to wet down my dog? I have a little westie now 3,5 months old and she LOVES the water. She also seems very much refreshed when she gets wet (I just take care not to get water in her little ears). I am asking because I read about those natural oils dogs have on their skins which mean that we should not bathe them too often for fear of allergies. Question is does that also apply to just wetting the dog? Or only to washing it properly with shampoo and all that.

This may be a silly question but I am a first time dog owner and want to get it right.
Thank you for your time,
best
Theo
Ari_RR

Re: Summer heat and water

Post by Ari_RR »

If she doesn't mind being hosed - I wouldn't worry.
Perhaps you can find somewhere a large plastic tub which you can fill with water and let her splash in it, if she love water?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think dogs are 'designed' to get wet, and it's just the shampoo that removes their natural oils. It's also important that dogs don't overheat, so I'd let her get as wet as she likes as often as she likes.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo

Post by Theo »

Thank you friends! much appreciated.