Walking puppies

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

edfroncz

Walking puppies

Post by edfroncz »

I have a 4 month old mixed breed dog. Not positive of the breeds but he is over 30 lbs now with huge paws. I have a question about taking him for walks. I have been walking him for 20 + minutes each morning. Our trainer says not to take more that 5 minute walks because his muscles are not developed enough yet. Are there some basic guidelines about how much walking puppies can handle? I would like some advice on this because I really enjoy walking with him. Thanks.
Erica

Re: Walking puppies

Post by Erica »

The guideline I've heard (and gone by with my own puppy) is 5 minutes for every month of age...so at 4 months, a 20 minute walk is good (4x5=20). It's not so much about the muscles as it is about preventing the joints and bones from being overworked while they're developing, to help prevent problems later on in life. :) On that note, walking on soft surfaces, eg dirt or sand, will be better for joints than walking and running on hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
edfroncz

Post by edfroncz »

What about hiking? We like to hike occasionally. Do we wait until he is fully grown (14 to 18 months, I guess) before we take him? It is going to feel really weird going for a hike and leaving our dog at home.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It really is worth sticking to shorter walks for now to protect his joints in the long run. It's possible you could go further if you build in plenty of breaks and go very much at the pup's pace, replicating what he would do if left to his own devices in the house & garden, but that probably wouldn't be your idea of a good hike.

His puppyhood will pass faster than you imagine :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
edfroncz

Post by edfroncz »

That's what I am seeing here and other places. He's a great puppy and we want to keep him healthy so we'll keep the walks short and wait a bit before taking him on a hike. Thanks