New Puppy

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Forefolfblue

New Puppy

Post by Forefolfblue »

Hi everyone, I,m new to the forum so hopefully this is the right area. We bought Paddy (English springer) home on Monday night and are getting on with his house training. Things are going quite well but he doesn't seem to do Poos very often. I have started writing down when he has

Yesterday, 0630, 1000, 1615.

Today, 0200, 0730.

Apart from one wee and two poos inside Tuesday morning (my fault), I have managed to get him outside in the garden, giving him lots of praise and treats.

He has three meals a day, 0700, 1200 and 1900.

Whilst he isn't eating all his bowl I was wandering if his lack of poo is normal, I was expecting him to go after each meal. He has a health check yesterday and all seems well and he plays okay and sleeps (a lot). Am I just worrying for nothing, any advice appreciated

Graham
delladooo

Re: New Puppy

Post by delladooo »

Hi, how old is Paddy, I'm assuming between 8 and 12 weeks? Also, what're you feeding him on?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Welcome :) Each dog is different, so while some dogs will need to poo after a meal, some dogs will poo after exercise, or maybe seven hours after a meal, or won't eat a meal until after they poo, etc...if you're worried, I think keeping track of his poos is a good idea. As long as he seems to be behaving normally and pooing regularly I personally wouldn't be too concerned. :) Two or three poos a day is perfectly normal when being fed three times a day. I am not a vet, but that's what my puppy did and he is fine, and it's in line with what I've heard from other people with puppies.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Forefolfblue

Post by Forefolfblue »

Paddy is 10 weeks old and is fed on dry kibble with a bit of warm water added.

Update, 1610 had a poo.

Glad to hear normal, really hard to judge when he needs to go. Taking him out every 30-40 minutes and he will have a small wee, hoping this is for the praise and treat. Hoping to identify a schedule, last two days has been around 1600.