Paw Pad Injury

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Paw Pad Injury

Post by Erica »

With less than a week before our first agility lesson, Delta injured his paw pad - front right big one - ripping the skin off a bit. There's a flap of it but the flap doesn't want to stay down. I cleaned it gently with water earlier, and I plan to apply neosporin, Musher's Secret, and maybe wrap it with some gauze and tape. Does this sound like a good plan? I could substitute a dog booty for the gauze/tape but I think that might slip and rub.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
rnor1120

Re: Paw Pad Injury

Post by rnor1120 »

Paw pads heal up quick if the injury is minor. I just had a police dog with the same injury. Attempted a bandage, 20 minutes later he tore it off. I instructed the handler to keep the dog kenneled for 7 days, put a bootie on it when he took the dog outside to pee (on a leash), and within 4 days the dog was back on duty. Basically, keep the tootsie clean and dry, protect it with a bootie (or a bandage if he'll tolerate it), and the ointments and stuff probably won't be needed as long as its just a mild superficial wound.
Erica

Re: Paw Pad Injury

Post by Erica »

Thanks! The wax seems to be keeping the skin flap pressed to the pad (before I started with the wax it kept flapping up), so I probably will keep checking on it and reapply that as needed, and put on booties for walks - they're faster than bandages and bother him less. :) Glad to hear it will probably heal well - and we will keep it clean and dry!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14