dogs and Cancer

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

dogs and Cancer

Post by Theo400 »

Hello

I would like to know what you all think regarding dogs and cancer. As Theo Has not been himself for the past tow months throwing up, not wanting to eat or go for walks. so I took him to the Vets ASAP and they have done blood tests and nothing so did an MRI type X-ray and the vet found a lump on his lung and has done further test to see what it is and has phoned this morning and has said that he has Cancer :cry: :cry: and dose not know if there is anything he can do. it took me a while to be able to type this as I have been blown backwards and cant bare to think I might loose him. I now know it was not his raw food that made him ill, so could I still feed him his raw food as the vet has give me hill science plan and I do not agree with kibble?

should I get another opinion as I don't want to loose him vet said he should be put to sleep so he is not in pain or in misery :evil: . surely there is something else I can do?

I would really be greatful for any advice as I don't know what to do
Nettle

Re: dogs and Cancer

Post by Nettle »

My stud dog died with cancer, and currently our terrier has it also. Each time we choose palliative care only, so it's all about keeping them comfortable and giving as good a quality of life as we can, until one day they look at us and say "it's time".

A dog can have a lot of happy life after the cancer diagnosis, and it gives us time to prepare as well. The pain and grief of parting is the same for us, but dogs don't know about all that, so it's our problem not theirs.

Be aware that other dogs may try to attack a sick dog, and don't let them.

So I suggest you do lots of reseach about everything that is available to help. For instance, my dogs had homeopathy, but that may not be the way you want to go.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm really sorry to hear you've had such bad news :(

If it was me I would ask my vet how he thinks the disease is likely to progress, and how much he thinks my dog is suffering now. I would also ask him what difference, if any, he thinks a change of diet would make, and take into account what he feels about raw feeding in general. If I had any doubts I would ask for a second opinion, for my peace of mind.

All Theo knows is how he feels now - he's not worrying about how he'll feel tomorrow, or this time next week.

((((Hugs))))
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN and Nettle

thank you both for your advice. I am finding it hard to stay strong but my mom said that the best thing to do for the Theo as he dose not understand what is going on, he just knows he in pain and dose not feel right. she has told me to get a second opinion as she said that not every dog dies from Cancer and some can be saved. ask what you could do to help the pain etc..

I have got an appointment today with her vet and she has been with her for 30yrs and said she is a brilliant vet and always explains things fully. so am hoping I can get some answer's. I shall ask about his food as well as he wont touch what the vet gave me. he has not eaten in tow days and am getting worried. I think its that I cant believe this has happened to him so you he only just turned 3yrs.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I decided not to go to my moms vet and to go to my own and ask questions and I asked about the food but he said that I can feed what I want as it wont help him anyway, I asked him to explain what other options I have to help Theo and he said that removing it is out of the question as he could die from the operation its self and were the tumour is located on the lung if he did survive it he is most likely going to have breathing problems. he said that all he can do is give me medication for pain as types of therapy would be no good with him not eating. he said that Theo is most likely in pain and that is the cause of not wanting to go for walks or want to eat. Theo has Lost 2kg the vet said since his last weigh in which was last month. he said the kindest thing to do would be to put him to sleep.

I phoned my mom and she said that if he's in pain it would be the best thing to do for him. after a lot of heart wrenching thinking I have decided to let him go :cry: . he will be going to the vet tomorrow so will treasure every last minute I have with him until 9.00am tomorrow.

I am devastated but at least I have had 3 amazing fun lived years with my boy.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Three years is way too soon :cry: Theo doesn't know how long dogs are meant to live for, though, and he's had three wonderful happy years with you. If he is in pain that can't be relieved then I think you are making the right decision.

I'll be thinking of you & Theo tomorrow.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Hi JudyN

Thanks for the support I know its the best thing to do for him as I hate the thought of him being in pain.

thank you for your support I am very greatful and it means a lot to me.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've been away so am late to this, but my thoughts are with you.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS