Non crumbly liver cake recipe (with turmeric)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Non crumbly liver cake recipe (with turmeric)

Post by WufWuf »

This is my foolproof turns out great every time recipe :D . The resulting liver cake is very dense and great to handle as it doesn't crumble when you break little bits off a chunk. It can also be cut up very small while still holding together. The turmeric is totally optional and can be left out or you could add some garlic (I often make it with garlic) just blitz the raw garlic before anything else or it won't chop it up properly! I would however always include oil of some kind (olive oil/pumpkin seed oil/coconut oil) as it seems to help the texture.

Basic rule for this liver cake is 1 egg and 100g gram flour per pound (450g) of liver.

This cake is 900g beef liver. 2 large organic eggs. 200g gram (chickpea) flour. Plus 2 tablespoons of golden paste and 2 tablespoons of raw organic coconut oil.

Trim off all the tough sinewy bits and snip through the membrane that goes around the end of the liver. This will stop the liver killing your blender
Blitz until completely liquid then add eggs, golden paste and coconut oil blitz again.
Add flour and mix really well. Pour into a lined oven proof dish/tin.

Bake in oven at 150c for 45 mins.
Remove from oven and take the lining paper off.
Dry up any moisture and return to oven at 100C cook for 90 mins turning once until it's a dark leathery brown on both sides.

Cool and then cut to whatever size suits you :D It will freeze really well too!

Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Re: Non crumbly liver cake recipe (with turmeric)

Post by Nettle »

Looks yummy - and all those good healthy ingredients! Wish you lived near me - I'd give you a regular order. :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks Nettle :D if I lived near you I'd be trying to bribe you with goodies on a regular basis to let me come talk dogs with you :mrgreen:
meggit

Post by meggit »

sorry to seem silly but what is golden paste please as this recipe looks much nicer than the one i normally make x
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmer ... lden-paste

The liver cake will turn out perfectly fine without the golden paste, it's completely optional :D. I tend to alternate how I make it to stop it being boring, so sometimes it's plain (liver,eggs,oil, gram flour) and sometimes I add garlic or golden paste or both.

I've been working on the recipe for a while now and this one seems to be perfect every time I make it no matter if the additional ingredients are in it or not :D.

It works best if you make sure that it's going to be thick-ish when it's done (3 cm at least!). Too thin and it's all "crust" :wink: .
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I made this a couple of days ago and it turned out really well :D I added some turmeric and freshly ground aniseed.

I only have a Bamix, basically a hand blender that attaches to a food-processing bowl, and it did struggle a bit with pureeing the liver (particularly on the bits of sinew I'd missed). I made the mistake of giving it a final mix in a large mixing bowl at the end and managed to spray it on to my face :oops: I've also discovered that the dishwasher isn't good at getting dried-on liver puree of bowls & spoons :lol:

It turned out great though, and the odd bit of non-pureed liver didn't matter at all. Just 1lb of liver produced 18 small bags of treats which can be fished out the freezer as and when needed.

Jasper absolutely loves it! He's very obedient whenever he knows I have some in his pocket :lol: The cat mobs me whenever I go into his domain, too.

I'm now considering getting a 'grown-up' food processor so I can make it much more easily and hopefully with much less mess.

Thanks for the recipe, WufWuf :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I'm so glad it worked out well for you Judy :D I've been tinkering with the recipe/cooking method for a few years now and this is the one that suits all my needs the best.

I have a stick blender too and it can be eh fun getting it all liquid but as you've found the odd lumpy bit doesn't make too much difference.

A cold rinse of the bowls and spoons makes the job of washing them much easier, the dired on stuff is a total pain to wash off properly!