Feeling guilty :(

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Feeling guilty :(

Post by bendog »

I am now feeling like absolute ****, Sasha is currently at the vets having emergency anaestethic to remove a lamb bone wedged in the top of her mouth.

It's happened once or twice before with one of her side teeth and we've managed to dislodge it with the end of a spoon so we don't really give her lamb bones anymore, just duck necks and wings, but Poppy or Charlie left one in the garden and I hadn't realised and Sash found it and now it is stuck :(

We took her to the nearest vets instead of our normal one, and so also feeling like they will be judging us due to the state her skin and nails are in as well, plus she is underweight and we can't seem to keep weight on her no matter how much she eats.

I have asked them to cut her nails whilst she is under as well, but to be honest vet didn't really seem to listen to us and probably just annoyed at being called out out of hours.

Of course the expense doesn't matter, she is more than worth it, but money is tight at the money with the baby due soon and Sash isn't insured due to her age (10) and too many pre existing conditions meaning insurance companies reluctant to cover her for anything!

I'm feeling guilty enough as it is and terrified of being told off by the vet or him thinking we are neglecting the poor girl :(
Ironically enough I've been pushing for OH to let me take her to the vet for a while because her skin is awful at the moment and her nails were disgustingly long but she will only let me cut the back ones not the front ones

And leaving a dog at the vets is just the worst feeling ever, we might moan about Sash a lot, but house feels empty without her, even with the other dogs here
WufWuf

Re: Feeling guilty :(

Post by WufWuf »

))))hugs(((( That sucks Amy, please don't feel bad these things happen no matter how careful we are things can go wrong.

I'm sure she will be fine in no time and YOU know you've done so much for Sasha, she's had a waaay better life the last few years and that's all thanks to you. It's easy for me to say but F**K the vets it's not up to them to judge you and how you care for your animals when they know NOTHING about the situation.

Let us know how you get on ((((hug)))
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

((((((Hugs))))))

You have done nothing wrong, and you know (or you should do) that you are a GREAT dog owner. Let the emergency vet think what he wants - if he says anything you can explain you've been working on her allergies, weight, nails, etc. for as long as you've had her. Anyway, I bet he's met plenty of dogs whose owners have problems cutting their nails :wink: I should think vets see pets in all sorts of conditions, know that a lot of them have caring owners doing their best, and learn to hang their judgement coats at the door as they come to work.

Jasper had to have a sedative to get a stick out of his mouth, even if you checked the garden for stray bones after every mealtime you can't remove all risk.

Do you have a PDSA vet round your way? I've no idea who is entitled to free care with them, but just thought I'd mention it.

I'm sure Sash will be fine - don't let the vet bully you or make you feel bad when you pick her up. You never know, he might be able to suggest something that could help with her problems. Could OH come with you for moral support?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

Amy! Don't panic! You know that you do everything possible for Sasha - more than most would, plenty would have given up on her long before now. No vet can give you any grief about that, be confident that you can answer any of their questions honestly. And I'm sure every single person here has had their management fail at some point, I know we do with Breeze and Scout. We're only human and accidents happen.

Don't let them forget about the nails etc, you may as well make the most of this opportunity, as horrible as it must be for you to wait :( Fingers crossed all goes well and it's not too expensive for you :X
bendog

Post by bendog »

Sash is back home already :mrgreen:
And back to her normal grumpy, bossy, self too - we were told she might be groggy for a while but apparently not :roll:

Tough as old boots, that girl. We thought they'd keep her overnight but suspect she was kicking up a fuss :wink:

I was meeting a new client so it was OH went on his own to pick her up and he only spoke to the student vet nurse not the vet so don't think much was said about her skin. They've done her nails, quicked one which has been bleeding a bit on and off, but they were so long and they are also thick and black so I'm not especially surprised (or worried) about that.

She has been begging, counter surfing, and reminding us loudly that she hasn't had her proper dinner so it certainly hasn't affected her voice :roll:

Having to watch Poppy with her because obviously she smells "odd" and that can be enough to spark a fight so seperated them for this evening.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sash has got the munchies :mrgreen:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009