leaving puppy

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

leaving puppy

Post by meggit »

ok so ive figured out the night time and hopefully wont have to spend the rest of my life on the camp bed in the kitchen lol buddy and her are ok we had a few squables today buds growled and has a snap at her never touched her but she backed off rolled over and then found something else to do it was all sorted before i could get out of the chair my next problem that i have to start to think about
when i went out i followed all the advise on here for buddy i left stuffed kongs chews all sorts of things that would keep him occupied when i was out he never chewed an item of furniture not a tooth mark on any thing so the question is how do i do this for tilly as i cant leave stuffed kongs i can see real problems there with buddy or chews of any kind, food could be a real issuse as buddy is very food orientated so how do keep her occupied and not chewing my kitchen to pieces
Erica

Re: leaving puppy

Post by Erica »

I would separate the dogs while you're out, by keeping puppy in one room and Buddy in another, which would allow you to give puppy kongs.Crate training is also very beneficial, and is another way to keep Buddy from getting puppy's toys. It doesn't have to be forever, or even very long - Delta was crated while I was gone for about three months, and now I keep him in a puppy-proofed room (even though the only thing he tries to destroy is cardboard) when I need to leave him alone. Often times, when I come back, he's sleeping in the crate anyways! :) But I do know that if he needs crate rest for an injury, or if he has to stay at the vets in a kennel for some medical reason, he will not find the constraint as unsettling as he would have if he hadn't been crate trained.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14