Humping and "Fainting"

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Humping and "Fainting"

Post by WufWuf »

So twice now Honey has scared the *bleep* out of Mr. Wuf and I by "fainting" after humping.

Humping is a fairly recent development with Honey (last year of so) and she initally seemed very confused by it but now get's humpy a couple of times a day. There's a certain amount of redirecting to play tug but she then get overwhelemed and humps again for a few seconds (usually a toy or blanket held by a human, yeah, I know :roll: but better that them your arm :lol: )

The "fainting" has looked exactly the same both times. Crazy humping then she's flat on her side with her eyes kinda glazed and panting a little with her commissures stretched back. The first time she leaped up the instant Mr. Wuf called her name and today she sat up as soon as I moved my hand towards her. Afterwards she looks fine, not confused or dazed at all!

I've had a look online and there seems to be a fair few vids of something similar happening with little dogs though not exactly the same and I can't find any explaination so far :( .

This vid is the most similar but she doesn't look as "drunk" as this dog and has "flopped" on her side rather than collapsing on herself like the other vids I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI7aPU2ur4E

I'm not sure if I should be freaking out that this means something terrible is wrong with her :cry: the "episodes" are really short (though they don't feel it at the time) I'd say maybe 10 seconds or less.

Has anyone seen/heard of this before or have any ideas what it could be?
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Re: Humping and "Fainting"

Post by Nettle »

When OH had a Lakeland, this used to happen. I think the old bat just overdid it. She was nearly 18 when she died, and in a fight at that.

You could get her heart checked as a precaution.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Nettle wrote:I think the old bat just overdid it
:lol: :lol:
Nettle wrote:You could get her heart checked as a precaution.
She does have a low grade heart murmur Nettle :( but she can run and spin and dance around the place without ever looking wobbly or distressed the only time we've seen this is when she's humped :? . Should I just get the vet to have another listen? TBH I'm worried about speaking to the vet about it as I don't want her to have to go through lots of tests for no reason and I think the vet will feel I'm a terrible owner for not wanting to :?

I've seen humans faint and fainted myself lots of times and I certainly couldn't pop up off the floor if you called my name so I don't *think* she's actually losing consciousness but it's still a little scary.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There's an article about it here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neu ... dg_syncope If you search for 'syncope' and 'dogs' you should be able to find plenty more.

That article lists excitement and stress as causes, but there are some medical causes as well. Personally, if it was me I think I'd want it checked out by a vet (that's only based on what I've just read though), but then my vet tends to err on the side of 'hands off' and 'wait and see'.

I dare say the excitement that leads to humping can lead to blood flow being directed to parts other than the brain :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks Judy, it doesn't seem to be true syncope as she's not losing consciousness :? . I've stopped all humping so far with training sessions instead (or food puzzle/bone) as she seems to get humpy when she's not sure what to do with herself.

I will get her vet to have a listen to her heart again and see where to go from there.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. Maybe also ask the vet about Narcolepsy? :?:
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

DEFINITELY get the heart checked, at the very least with blood pressure, if nothing else for the peace of mind. I had a patient that ultimately came in to see me because of similar episodes of falling over when Daddy got home from work. She was in congestive heart failure. Not saying that Honey is, but it's worth getting checked out.