Post season blues??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Post season blues??

Post by katej215 »

Hey guys....thought you could maybe offer me some insight..

Hattie my fox terrier finished her season at the end of Jan, she only seasons once a year, so i always forget what happened last year :roll: ..Anyway, she is sleeping ALOT at the mo..all day really..and she is normally a busy little dog, always looking to get involved in whatever is going on..and she hasn't been too keen to go further than 5 mins on walks for the last few days..(this is a dog that gets regular 2 /3 hr walks most days), given her history of anxiety on walks re traffic noise , i always now let her decide where we go, so have not tried to encourage her further.

Anyway, the only reason I'm not rushing her off to to the vets is her appetite is normal, barking at fox /cat smells in the garden is unfortunately normal AND her drive to train is as amazing as ever...we did our usual competition obedience class on monday night and HTM on tuesday, and she was superb... :)

So wondering whether maybe hormone levels are making her depressed? She's not mothering soft toys or clingy with us which i've heard of before....Is there anything herbally I could give her to make her feel better (Nettle ...are you there?? :lol: ) :D
Nettle

Re: Post season blues??

Post by Nettle »

False pregnancy. :) Perfect timing, perfectly normal. I give mine raspberry tablets throughout that time (avatar lady has just finished hers) and just let her get on with it.

The more you exercise her, the better at this time, but if she doesn't want to go out, don't push it, just do stuff at home. If she doesn't want to do that, it's also fine. Go with what she 'says' she wants, as this is all hormones and we know how forceful those can be!

If, however, she starts drinking a great deal more than usual, or has a temperature, a vet visit is a good precaution. Don't let the vet kid you that FP is a terrible thing and she must be spayed, because it's a normal process and they all go through it to a greater or lesser degree.

If she gets very milky, call me back :wink: there is help for that. But mostly they don't need it, and a bit of milk is neither here nor there.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Nettle wrote:False pregnancy. P
Oh goodness..really? :shock: Poor baby girl!....Sounds like tummy scratches on tap and extra chews are in order!

I will pick up some raspberry tablets today, should i give her one a day Nettle? And how long for?

Will watch the exercise levels ... will get OH to drive us out to our local woods tmw, it will be hideously muddy but I think its Hattie's fave walk...and we have our first obedience competition of the season on Sunday, so plenty of activity there....and of course will keep an eye out for any milk production (gulp) ... :shock: Surely boys must be easier!!!!

Thanks so much for your reply Nettle, you're an amazing source of knowledge for us novices! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

One a day is good for a little dog. Give for 3 weeks.

Don't be sorry for her - she's fine :) she may not feel like putting herself out to do obedience so don't fret if she isn't up to her usual standard. She'll be fine if she gets a little milk too - they are dogs and they can cope with it. Don't let anyone squeeze or touch her mammaries though. Many don't get milk at all, most get a little, a few get a lot.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS