Catching dog urine!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Secret Someone

Catching dog urine!

Post by Secret Someone »

How??

Tomorrow Pan has to go to the vets as he's been losing weight for no known reason and they want a urine sample. I've been given the general idea... Use a bowl, put it under the stream etc. but I know my dog - if I'm wanting him to pee and waiting for him to, he won't. If I lean in with a bowl when he magically does, he'll stop.

Any tips on how to catch it? I have a feeling it's going to be tricky...

Oh, to make things even better I'm also in a wheelchair and my PA and dog walker is off sick tomorrow. I can see me ending up in a pile of mud and wee. :roll:
JudyN

Re: Catching dog urine!

Post by JudyN »

If you could attach a margarine tub (or maybe even a ladle?) or similar to a long stick, you might be able to position that under him from far enough away that he won't be distracted. You could also give him a big bowl of something like chicken broth so when he does go, he's gonna keep on going for a bit 8)
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Also, once you accept you are going to get a wet hand and it doesn't matter, it gets easier :wink:

Even difficult boy dog samples are way easier than girl dog ones :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

JudyN wrote:If you could attach a margarine tub (or maybe even a ladle?) or similar to a long stick, you might be able to position that under him from far enough away that he won't be distracted. You could also give him a big bowl of something like chicken broth so when he does go, he's gonna keep on going for a bit 8)
The tub on a stick idea is what veterinarians at sled dog races use to catch samples for drug testing. Actually, it's what the vet techs working for the veterinarians do.

In any event, it works.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
bendog

Post by bendog »

Could've done with using the tub on a stick method for my own urine test at midwife last week.
Missed the pot and peed on my hand!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

At least you won't get chilblains :lol:

(Urine used to be used as a chilblain cure).
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS