Healthiest way of feeding dogs

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kwirky

Healthiest way of feeding dogs

Post by kwirky »

There is so much information available on what we should feed our pets (canned vs kibble vs raw vs.....) and so much of this information is contradictory.

Is there a definitive answer at all on what is the healthiest way to feed?

We have an 11 month old Golden Retriever male who had originally been fed on ProPlan however due to frequent tummy upsets whilst on this, we changed to a home-style minced meat, veg and pasta/rice which we were buying from a local pet food company. Murphy did really well on this until he simply went off it. We would give it to him and he simply would not eat it. Since then we have tried canned food (doesn't seem to like any brand or variety), raw animal grade meat (does not like at all), raw human-grade meat (loves it!!!), and kibble (would rather not eat it unless he is starving).

With all this experimentation, I am getting lost in what we should be feeding him. Have other members had experience where their dog went off something and what did they do?

Thanks
Erica

Re: Healthiest way of feeding dogs

Post by Erica »

Hi there!

After lots of digging and reading, I decided to feed my dog a prey-model raw diet. This is approximately 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ (eg kidney, spleen, pancreas, but not lung, heart, uterus - organs that move are fed as part of the meat percentage). Using a variety of meats ensures that he gets various nutrients found in one species, but not another. I also feed him some table scraps, mostly any pureed or steamed vegetables I'm eating. I think that, since your dog will eat good meat, that's probably what is best for him. When you say animal grade meat, what do you mean precisely?

If there were a hard and fast answer, there wouldn't be so much debate about feeding dogs, haha! You have to decide who you trust and what seems most correct to decide what to feed them.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
kwirky

Post by kwirky »

I went to a local pet food place and although it was fresh, it contains bones and fat and so on. It is much cheaper per kilo than that which we get from the butcher for us. From the butcher we had chicken breast and gravy beef which we then diced.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That sounds pretty good to me - they need the bones and fat.

It's very unusual for a golden retriever to refuse to eat. How would you describe his body condition? Is it likely that someone else is feeding him bits and pieces that are not his normal meals? Are his teeth okay? How much exercise is he getting? How are his tummy upsets now?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Steve29

Post by Steve29 »

Some animals will not eat something that has upset their digestion. Have you noticed any tummy upsets on any of the foods you have tried? Also, just a comment on raw meat diets. I know they are very popular and I have no problem that they are a dog's natural food, but most of the meat available is factory raised meat and can become contaminated with bacteria. It is best, in my opinion, to cook any meat you give your dog unless you know where it came from and how it was processed.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I also feed a (mostly) prey model raw diet to my two and they're doing very well. I add some veg as and when purely because they enjoy it.
Just to clarify Steve's comment in case you're worried, freezing meat for a couple of weeks first will kill any bacteria on the meat and then so long as you don't leave it out in the warmth it's fine for them; they have much stronger stomachs than us so following usual hygiene rules is fine. There is some debate / concern over the vitamin and mineral content of "modern" meat in comparison to meat that wild ancestors ate from the modern farming processes so some people only feed organic (better option anyway if you can afford it) and / or supplement.

Personally, I feel raw is the best option for mine but realise it's not for everyone. I think a home cooked diet would be better than commercial dog food but realistically it's seems a lot of work and a very good quality kibble would probably work better for me BUT I think the kibble option would work out more expensive. Whatever you decide, it's a very personal choice and good luck with getting your dog to eat :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't know where Steve lives and I don't know where OP lives, but very little meat in UK is factory raised apart from most poultry and some pork. Normal hygiene precautions are quite sufficient. :) However, it is wise to be aware of any potential risks, so a good reminder from Steve.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS