Teeth

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Teeth

Post by JudyN »

Jasper crashing out after chasing a deer this morning gave me a good opportunity to get a pic of his teeth:

This is the only significant staining/tartar he has. I suspect that to get rid of it would be quite a task, regarding daily attention - would it be worth it, or can I happily ignore it? He's five years old, has one or two chicken carcasses a day, and can't have any longer-lasting bones than them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Teeth

Post by Nettle »

Well spotted, and I'd say get after that before it gets bad.

I have read and understood about the chicken wings and nothing bigger :wink: though this would be the ideal job for breast of lamb. Is it because he swallows lumps, or some other reason that I have forgotten?

Would he allow some fiddling about? If so, I'd go with rubbing aloe vera gel on every day, getting it right up to the gumline if you can.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Carcasses, not wings - he could probably swallow a wing whole :wink: The reason for nothing longer-lasting is because of his guarding - I don't want him deciding to eat it in a doorway, or by my feet, and me not being able to move, so it needs to be something I can shut him in a room or garden with and leave him in peace till it's gone. How long would a breast of lamb take him to eat (or a meal-sized portion, say 450g), and how often would he have to have one to make a difference? He did pass quite large, sharp bits of bone in the past when I gave him lamb ribs, so I'd also have to see how he got on with lamb breast (I assume we're talking bone-in lamb breast here).

I can try the aloe vera gel - depends if he likes the taste, I haven't found a dog toothpaste that he doesn't spit out yet.
bendog

Post by bendog »

I know mine are greedy sods but takes about 5-10 mins maximum for them to eat 200g of lamb breast or lamb spine even if it's partly frozen still so can't imagine it would take Jas long.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Might be worth a try then - thanks :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Actually, are lamb ribs the same thing as lamb breast?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No, lamb breast is lamb ribs with meat on, and it's the meat that cleans the teeth as well as the bones/gristly bits. Avatar dog can finish a side of breast of lamb in less than 5 minutes, not hurrying, and she is smaller than Jas. The meat is very fatty so caution if he reacts to fatty meat - mine don't suffer with it at all as the bony bits seem to balance it all out. At the moment we get a lot of this so they have it about 3 times a week with no ill effects.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks - I bet the local supermarkets won't do it and the butcher will cost a couple of limbs as they sell local free-range... The fat might be a problem though. I remember what happened after he had duck mince two days running :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sometimes supermarkets have it in the frozen-NZ-lamb section - and they might do some to order. Locally farmed might be too much, but another butcher could have some less exalted lamb (it's all free-range in UK). You could trim most of the fat off.

bendog

Post by bendog »

Not sure which supermarket you use but our Morrisons sells it, albeit usually in smallish portions so might not be the cheapest option if you have to buy a few packs. We also get "lamb stock bones" from Morrisons fairly often at just over £1 per kg and they are quite bony but usually have a decent amount of meat on!

Picture from Google but we get the ones like the pack in the middle if we are running short on food for dogs.
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/gemboh/ ... 3.jpg.html
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

bendog wrote:We also get "lamb stock bones" from Morrisons fairly often at just over £1 per kg
:shock: I use Ocado online mostly - no lamb breast there but they do do lamb stock bones... at £6 a kilo! I'm going to have to shop around...
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle, could you recommend an aloe vera gel, please? I've just been looking at one that claims to be 99.9% pure, but apparently the full ingredients list is 'Aqua
Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice, Glycerin, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate' :shock: OK, there can't be very much of any of them, but I don't know if there's a better option.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Bloomin' 'eck! What a list of ingredients!

Sorry can't recommend a particular make :( wish I could be more help. I used to have a plant but I felt cruel breaking its leaves off.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:I used to have a plant but I felt cruel breaking its leaves off.
You old softie you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Get an aloe plant and then you know it is 100% pure! :D

I keep one in my garden and it has come in handy more times than I can count. I love those plants!!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11