Teeth

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

elisa

Re: Teeth

Post by elisa »

I was just thinking about Ansa's teeth so I'll partly "hijack" the post.

So Ansa is four. Last time the vet said she should get some dentistry done in the winter. I'm not that happy about the anesthesia so a more natural cleaning would be better. So I got her some raw beef "pipe bones and joints" with practically no meat on them, also as a Christmas treat. She is happily chewing one at the moment. She's gone through a couple in the past few weeks with no problems.

Questions:
For a dog that has no guarding issues which type of raw bones are best for teeth cleaning?
Is once a week ok? (Otherwise Ansa gets Orijen kibble.)
At what point should I remove the bone? (Thinking about it going bad if she doesn't finish it in a day or so. Also of course once most the best parts are gone she isn't so interested anymore.)

I admit I'm lazy about brushing her teeth. She definitely could be trained to have them brushed.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Just bumping your post, Elisa :D

I've discovered another way of getting your dog's teeth cleaned - get him to run through a barbed wire fence, then when you're asked if there's anything else you'd like the vet to deal with while he's under, mention that his teeth would be worth a look. Although I did say that I knew that might not be a good idea if it meant him staying under anaesthetic for longer, it seems that the vet has indeed given him a good scale and polish. They should be good for another five years now, by which time he's sure to have injured himself again :D :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
elisa

Post by elisa »

Heh yeah Judy. I hope Jasper is doing well!

I have been thinking of all the other things the vet might do while she's under, like maybe x-ray her legs to be sure she's fine to do high jumps in agility.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There isn't really a 'how many how much' with the bones, as all dogs are different. If you can do once a week, then once a week is good.

I would remove the bones once she has chewed off the good bits and left/lost interest in the rest.

If you can get trachea (windpipe) that is gristly and good for cleaning too.

Many vets genuinely don't realise the superb tooth-cleaning effect of raw meat and raw bones, as all they have been taught is anaesthetic and a deep clean using dental instruments.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS