Won't Urinate if he thinks I want him to

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

randysmom

Won't Urinate if he thinks I want him to

Post by randysmom »

My Casey, a nearly 21 month old sheltie, has recently refused to urinate if I ask him to. If I take him out for a last 'Pee" of the night, he gets a "deer in the headlight" look about him, runs a short circle in the yard, and runs to the back door. No amount of begging will get him to urinate. Now if we're outside playing, he will urinate when he has to. He urinates on his walks just fine. I took a urine sample in a few weeks ago to the vet and it was normal. I believe the start of this occurred one night when he wouldn't urinate. He came back on the porch and I moved towards him to pick him up and take him back out in the yard to try again. he ran from he and I chased him around a table on the porch. Didn't fuss at him, just was trying to catch him and take him back to the yard. I really believe that started this problem. I talked to my vet and she thinks it is probably a mental thing. I have tried making nightly pee time a happy occasion and for about a week after talking to our vet he did urinate at night just fine. Then last week we went back to the same problem. He holds his urine sometimes 12 hours overnight. I know that is not good for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not think there is anything physically wrong with him as he urinates just fine on all other occasions.
Ari_RR

Re: Won't Urinate if he thinks I want him to

Post by Ari_RR »

I would try a real walk around the block at night, rather than just popping out to the backyard...
JudyN

Re: Won't Urinate if he thinks I want him to

Post by JudyN »

randysmom wrote:He holds his urine sometimes 12 hours overnight. I know that is not good for him.
Are you sure it's not good for him? I know someone whose dogs have their last wees about 5pm and last overnight no problem. Mine has a wee last thing but if it's raining hard in the morning he can put off going out for ages.

Do you give him a treat after he's peed, or does he get one when he comes back in? Or could it be he knows that 'last pee' means bedtime, and could he be bothered about this (e.g. if he sleeps in a crate or separated from you and might not be happy about this)? Or could be because he doesn't like the dark?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009